A picture of me in a cosplay at a convention
Original photo by Ku\'uleialoha Hoapili

My Experience At Kumoricon 2023

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve been going to conventions since 2021, so in the eyes of more avid congoers I’m still pretty new to this scene. At the same time though, cosplaying is something I love to do and it’s my main reason that I go to these conventions, but even if I didn’t cosplay the experience of a con is enough for me. On November 17-19th of this year, I decided to go to one of my favorite conventions back home, Kumoricon in Portland, OR! And lucky enough for me, Kumoricon was kind enough to issue me a press badge for this year’s con. This years Kumori has been one of my favorite cons by far, so let me tell you about it!

So the first day of the con I decided to go as Yoru from Chainsaw Man, a cosplay in which I decided to make the spinal cord sword that goes along with the character about 3 days before the convention. That project definitely took some time but it was a fun addition to add to my costume. The first day was a fairly chill one for me, I met up with some friends that I don’t get to see very often and spent a ridiculous amount of money on a cup that I thought looked cool. Most of the day was spent walking around and looking at all the amazing cosplays that people wore that day, I even found some other Yoru’s! The day ended with me conducting my first-ever interview with the voice actor Patrick Pedraza which was such an amazing experience, but that’s for another article.

A picture of me with voice actor J. Michael Tatum after an interview I conducted with him
Original photo by Kamerin Schindewolf-Broyles

On day 2 of con I decided to go as Misa from Death Note, another cosplay that included an insanely difficult prop construction. Well, at least for me. I had made a 6-foot-tall golden scythe that honestly turned out to be hell to carry around. My friend Tarah was a good friend and walked behind me most of the day to keep my scythe from swinging around and hitting people all day. This day started with another interview with who I personally consider to be one of the best English voice actors, J. Michael Tatum. I was extremely nervous throughout this interview but again, that’s for another article. This day was also the day that the K-pop random play dance was being held which I ended up taking way too seriously. So seriously to the point where when they played Bite Me by Enhypen I got so excited for the partner part that I tripped and sprained my ankle in my huge platformed boots. That, however, did not stop me as I just took off my boots and danced in my socks after that. I would say that this was probably my favorite day of the con.

And sadly, the third and last day of Kumori rolls around. That day I decided to go as Dabi from My Hero Academia, which I’ve decided I will never go to a con in again. I decided that it would be a great idea to put liquid latex all over my arms, neck, chest, under eyes and stomach to really get that textured look that Dabi has. Along with this, I also glued craft wire to my under eyes, face and chest to act as the staples that Dabi has on him. This was by far the most overstimulating cosplay that I have ever done. Don’t get me wrong, I looked cool as hell, but doing anything while in this cosplay absolutely sucked. But the day wasn’t all that bad, I got to meet the vkei band ACME who were there all the way from Japan! They were super nice and lovely to meet. I also, despite meeting and interviewing him just the day before, went to J. Michael Tatum’s meet and greet to get a signed Erwin Smith print and another picture with him. I’m a huge fan of his if you couldn’t tell.

A picture taken of me with the vkei band ACME

And then finally, the con came to an end. My friend and I had to drive 4 hours back up to our college and we had to leave Portland behind. Ultimately, I had a blast at Kumori this year. There are definitely some things about this con that could be fixed up and changed, but even then it’s still one of my favorite cons to attend.

Media and journalism major, Korean studies minor, cat lover, anime and Kpop enthusiast