Life > Academics

My Boss is a Mouse?- Disney College Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

the program

“As a Disney College Program participant at the Walt Disney World® Resort, you will become part of the magic that is known worldwide, gain experience working in a front-line role at our parks and resorts, and have the opportunity to participate in learning experiences and activities created just for Disney Programs participants.

This unique program spans five to seven months (with opportunities to extend up to one year) and allows participants to network with professionals throughout The Walt Disney Company, take part in personal and career development classes, and live and work with people from all over the world. While you work in your role, you will build transferable skills such as problem solving, teamwork, guest service, and effective communication.” https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/orlando/disney-college-program/391/22371421136

the application process

The application process for the Disney College Program this year was very simple compared to the years prior.

When you sign up for email notifications on the Disney college program site you will be alerted when their designated recruitment time is. For the fall DCP 22 term, I submitted my application at the beginning of January and only had to wait 5 days for a response.

The application itself is fairly simple. You can relate it to any regular job application that wants to hear about your previous work experience and education. There is also a section called the “Web Based Interview” which is where you answer questions from very likely to least likely. *I would advise choosing the most extreme on each.*

In the past, there was a section of the application where they would conduct a phone interview to learn more about you and if you were the right fit for Disney but that has since been removed and instead the web-based interview is the last step.

Once you have been accepted into the program and have picked your arrival and departure dates, you are required to pay a fee that will cover your housing for a few weeks.

flamingo crossings

Probably one of the biggest concerns when debating whether to join this program or not relies on where you will be living.

Currently, Disney World is the only location accepting college program applicants so when you are accepted, you will be moving to sunny Florida.

Flamingo Crossings is the new and improved housing location for all Disney College Program applicants (but of course, you can opt-out of housing and choose your own place to live).

The floor-plans range from a 2X2-4X4 that is completely furnished with beds, washer and dryer in unit, smart tv, couches, tables and chairs…basically all the expensive things you had in your IKEA shopping cart.

*BONUS* the apartments come with basic cookware, utensils and a dining set!!

Aside from the amazing room options, there is a 24-hour gym, GIANT pool with a projector on the lawn and numerous grills for those weekend BBQs.

If you want to see images of this glorious place check it out here: https://www.americancampus.com/student-apartments/fl/disney/flamingo-crossings-village

benefits- outside of living a fairytale dream

Some may think working at Disney is a benefit in itself, which it is, but there is more. Yes, MORE.

• Exclusive sneak previews of new attractions, parks and resorts
  • 50% off (if you stay) at select Disney resorts
  • 40% off for friends and family at select Disney resorts (you do not need to stay)
  • Dining discounts at any location on the park
  • Disney Springs discounts
  • Every 150 hours of work you will be sent free park passes for friends + family (total of 9 per calendar year)
  • Discounts in ALL park stores-just imagine the ear collection.

should you apply?

If you are someone who is just starting college, in the middle of your junior year, just graduated or a non-traditional student, this program welcomes you.

This program is a commitment in terms of uprooting and moving possibly halfway across the world, but I guarantee you it will be worth it.

If you are looking for an experience of a lifetime, I would suggest applying. I am set to graduate this June and I was full of so much anxiety because I couldn’t find the right internship for me, and it made me second guess my career choice. While this may not seem like the best option for an English major, I am planning on blogging + recording my entire program in hopes of adding it to my resume.

Also a thing to note is, Disney is a HUGE company. You could be working at a coffee stand outside of Galaxy’s Edge and meet someone who works for Lucas Film and swap contact information and end up with an internship after this one is finished- who knows.

The possibilities are endless.

Sending you lots of pixie dust

I hope you enjoyed my article on the DCP and my application experience. Perhaps it inspired you to apply yourself!

If it did and you are accepted CONGRATULATIONS.

If you wish to follow me on my DCP journey: Insta- @paijeinneverland_ and my YouTube will probably be the same as well.

Wishing you the best of luck in any and all your endeavors! <3

Creative and Professional Writing Aspiring author and publisher Gemini Slytherin house