Living an Introverted Life in an Extroverted World    

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

We live in a society where personal expression is encouraged. As we know everyone comes all different shapes and sizes, one of those being how your personality has flourished to be a part of who you are. You may know these terms as introvert and extrovert. An introvert is typically timid or reserved. They tend to keep to themselves and are able to gain energy from having some alone time. Extroverts are outwardly expressive people and typically unreserved. Extroverts gain their energy from being around others. In order to complete the society we need both of these types of personalities. Introverts and extroverts are not the only types, in fact there is a whole spectrum in between them and some days you may be one or the other. Introverts and extroverts compliment each other, that is why in relationships, friend groups, or families there is a mix of both.

Growing up, everyone wanted to be the outgoing, friendly, easy to be around girl, but some introverted traits seem to be ingrained, while others seem to be a result of the culture we live in. Many introverts have learned to cope with constant overstimulation by putting up a wall. This leads people to believe that introverts are cold, or standoffish, but this is not true. The innate qualities that most introverts share are a love of introspection, a need for solitude, and a slower, more focused communication style.

Introverts Love Introspection

For introverts, introspection comes as naturally as breathing. We love to explore the colorful landscapes of our imagination. Many of us have been criticized for our mind wandering. We’ve been told to get our head out of the clouds and stop daydreaming. What people don’t understand is that there is a good reason for our inward ways. The outside world often feels like an assaulting force for introverts. Our inwardness allows us to be able to take a break from the world when we desire the need. It helps introverts be comfortable in any situation. It provides sustenance and shade from a world of neon lights and fluorescent personalities.

Solitude is Essential

An introvert’s desire for solitude is more than just a preference, it is crucial to our health and well being. Introverts can be in social situations, in fact many of us put on our extrovert pants throughout the day, but need a chance to take those off and recharge our batteries. When we give ourselves permission to seek out those chances of alone time, life becomes easier and less tiring.

The Introvert’s Dilemma

In our culture, extroversion is considered the norm. In many cases it is even exalted as the superior personality type. Introverts don’t need to be cured, some of us like the way we are. Extroverts are not superior to introverts, or vice versa. We are different personality types with different needs, desires, and behaviors. In our society extroverts have led the claim that this is the norm. Where does that leave us you ask? For many of us, it feels like you are treading water in a giant pool of stereotypes and judgment. Some of us are better swimmers and have figured out how we can live in this society. But keep your head above water, and you too will figure it soon.

Are Introverts Rude?

We live in a world where social etiquette was largely designed by and for extroverts. You may be sitting in class, just dreading to be called on or at a meeting not saying anything because you need to just take it all in. Sometimes this may cause introverts to come off as rude. Declining invitations, setting personal boundaries, and leaving the party early can all be seen as rude. It’s gotten so bad that people don’t even know how to say “no” anymore without feeling overwhelmed with guilt. We poured out pleasantries and politeness to the point of depletion. Then we felt guilty for not having an ounce of energy left for niceties. There comes a point when politeness is too painful for introverts. We don’t want to hurt anyone. We just want to slip away quietly and restore ourselves. If a need to recharge my batteries or a need to stay in for the night is rude, then whatever I guess that introverts are rude.

You cannot magically “cure” a person’s introversion. And why would you want to? Introversion comes with many unique gifts. The world needs more calm, more quiet, and more depth. Introverts are the best people to provide all that and much more. Instead of trying to change us into extroverts, society should thank introverts for bringing balance to an exhaustingly extroverted society.

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.