Kitty Corner: DIY Whiskey Barrel Wall Décor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

The best part about wall decor is that is can be found anywhere using just about anything. For example: a whiskey barrel. What is there to do with an old whiskey barrel? With a little creativity a whiskey barrel can go a long way, and he’re how I did it!

I am all about budgeting and making use of things that you normally wouldn’t think to actually be useful. I love the idea of using whiskey barrels as flower pots. When one of mine started rotting I was just going to throw all the remaining parts away and decided that it was the perfect lawn ornament. 

The metal rings around the whiskey barrel were perfectly fine and even looked a little rustic from the outdoor aging. I just moved into a new house we had nothing on the walls yet. My roommates and I had been looking for wall decoration forever but could not find anything affordable, since we live in a small college town that doesn’t offer a lot decor options. So I got the idea to hang the metal rings and make them a uni and maybe put something in the center of the rings.

I went and bought some cheap air plants in a vase, and hung them in the metal rings with fishing wire to make a clean look and so the string holding the air plants aren’t visible. Both air plants and fishing wire found at Fred Myers for pretty cheap. I wanted something bigger and different from the air plants for the last ring. I thought of a little wall clock to give it a homey/functional look. You could also do a cute mirror or picture frame to give it your own personal touch.           

Here is the finished look: