Style > Beauty

The Intentions Behind Celebrity Beauty Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Over the past decade, the beauty industry has experienced a huge influx of brands because of the rise of social media-based beauty gurus. And with that growth comes a whole new kind of beauty brand; one that is owned and endorsed by a celebrity. Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and most recently Selena Gomez have all decided to dip into the beauty-pond, but for what reason? There have been numerous celebrity-owned beauty brands that have popped up in the past decade, and for some of them, it makes sense. But for other celebrities who have never shown a major interest in the beauty industry before other celebrity-based brands started showing up, joining the beauty industry now just seems ingenuine. 

The honest company products
The Honest Company

We all know that Rihanna has Fenty Beauty and Kylie Jenner has Kylie Cosmetics, but in the past year we have seen the likes of Lady Gaga, Millie Bobby Brown, and Selena Gomez either announce or release their own beauty brand. For an icon like Lady Gaga, a makeup line makes sense. She has been giving us looks upon looks for the past decade, so it wasn’t a huge surprise when Gaga released her makeup line in 2019. But, in light of the September 2019 flop of a release by Millie Bobby Brown’s line Florence by Mills, we have to wonder what the motivation behind the release of a celebrity-based brand. How much control do the actual celebrities have over the brand, or do they just have a swarm of managers and shareholders who control every aspect of the company. 

Obviously, consumers aren’t dumb. We can tell if a brand is being ingenuine, especially in today’s “cancel culture”. I think it’s up to the consumer to decide if a brand’s actions or endorsements are ingenuine.

Like this article? Be sure and check out our other features this week!

HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)