This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’ve been dancing since I was three years old. I’ve only been in my 20s for two years, but in that short time, I’ve had so many people ask if they’re “too old” to start dancing. Friends and acquaintances always say that they don’t know where to start when it comes to starting dance so late. I wanted to make this quick guide for people who have always wanted to take dance classes but don’t know where to start.

Look for a local studio.

Depending on where you live, there’s likely to be a dance studio. Find their Facebook page or website and see if they offer drop-in classes.

Research potential drop-in classes.

If you don’t want to commit to a weekly dance schedule but want to test the waters, try a drop-in class. Essentially, a drop-in class is where you go to the studio at the given time, pay a small fee (usually around $10) and take one class.

Try everything!

If you’ve never danced before, it’s hard to know where to start, style-wise. Take a beginner ballet class, modern dance class, tap, hip-hop, or ballroom (which makes for a super fun date night). 

Do not let the established dancers get to you.

Putting yourself out there is scary. It’s more than likely that you will not be the best person in the class. I promise that the more-experienced dancers are not judging you. In my experience, we all think that people trying new things is super commendable and love to see new people in class.

Take a friend!

It’s easier to not worry about looking silly if you have someone looking silly with you. Bringing a friend to your first dance class is a great way to feel safe and comfortable.

Try to have fun!

Dance is a great way to stay in shape and get the brain and body moving. If anything, you try it, hate it and never do it again. At best, you gain a fun new hobby! Good luck!

If you’re living in the Ellensburg area, stop by The Studio downtown! They offer many different beginner-adult classes as well as drop-in classes!  

aquarius | english education