Style > Decor

How to Dry Flowers & Make a Dried Bouquet

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

One of my absolute favorite hobbies is drying flowers; it’s so quick and easy! Also, it is affordable and so cute to add to your space! 

First things first, put on a record or some tunes while you work! 

Step one:

Grab your materials! You will need twine, ribbon or something to tie with. 

Get some fresh flowers either from a store, a U-pick farm, some you already have or from around your garden!

Step two:

Cut some twine and make sure there is enough length so you are able to tie the flowers, and have room to tie a knot or loop (so later you can hang them from somewhere).

Step three:

Lay out your flowers and tie some twine around them individually or pair a few together. 

Tip: Usually pairing multiple flowers together is okay, just make sure they have enough space to air out! If not they sometimes can get a bit moldy, unfortunately. 

Step four: 

Hang them upside down around your place from the knot or loop you made.

Tip: Dried flowers preserve their color best in a dry and dark place!

Step five:

Have a touch of patience! This may take a few days to around two weeks depending on how many flowers you twinned together or how dense the flower is. 

If you love drying flowers as much as me, you may want to try a flower journal! Besides just having a cute dried bouquet, you can also put them in a sketchbook or journal. I research each flower I dry for example, where they are native to, what their scientific name is, and all sorts of things!

Check out our page for more articles like this one!

Hi I'm Bella! I am a transfer student at CWU and am majoring in the ATM (Apparel, Textiles, & Merchandising) program and minoring in entrepreneurship! I am passionate about flowers, sustainability, hiking, and of course fashion!