How Much Responsibility Comes with Owning a Cat in College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It is very common for students to adopt kittens while attending college. Students usually get lonely, or bored and they think that getting an animal will solve their problems. The hard part about this is when people adopt these animals it is usually on a whim, and when they graduate they relocate their pets or just leave them behind.

So How Much Responsibility Is It to Get a Cat or Kitten While in College?

Black cat with plants
Photo by Inna Yatsun on Unsplash
I made the decision to rescue my cat sophomore year of college. He was found in a dumpster a few miles from where I lived and turned over to a shelter nearby. I had never had a cat growing up, and I had absolutely no idea how to take care of one; I was completely lost. The first few days were difficult while I was trying to get him to trust me and get him to know his new home. Cats are not like dogs where they can go anywhere and be generally comfortable; they usually cower and hide for a few days when being introduced to a new place. This was a stressful time, however, I had no idea how much more challenging it would get. I had to train him to not scratch or bite me, not to eat certain things, not to claw my couch to shreds, and so much more. For a while training him was almost a full-time job.

Another aspect to consider is the cost. The actual adoption fee for my kitten was around $130, however, I had to buy a crate, litter box, litter, food, dishes, toys, and so much more. The cost does not get much better over time as well, you will always be paying for food and litter. There are also a lot of things I did not think about, such as what I would do if he got sick. My cat fell extremely ill after only having him with me for two weeks; the vet even suggested that I put him down. I fought for him and bought all of the crazy medications, paid a copious amount of vet bills, and even paid for a surgical operation. I was not prepared for this and it took a toll on me mentally, physically, and financially. Eventually, he got better, and he made it through that hard time.

The point I am trying to get across is that just because kittens are adorable and you want one, it does not mean they are temporary pets for you to get through college. These animals are so loving and helpful through the difficult times. The responsibility of owning a cat is a lot greater than most believe. It took me longer than it should to have to realize that, however, I would not trade him or the time we have spent together for anything. If you are seriously dedicated to getting a cat or kitten to add to your family, which can be a long-term commitment, I would just suggest thoroughly thinking through all of the costs and responsibilities associated with having a cat.

Rylie Jo is a junior in college at Central Washington University studying public health! She loves to bake goodies, read, ride her bike, and spend time with her friends and family. Rylie Jo's favorite books are the Harry Potter series, but she always loves a good book about nursing.