How to Eat at College: A Survival Guide to on Campus Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Coming to college can be intimidating, to say the least. Leaving home, your family and friends can bring all kinds of emotions (some good, some bad).  One of the largest culture shocks most people will say about coming to college is the on-campus dining, and we couldn’t agree more! More often than not, dining hall food is nothing like your momma’s cooking, and the “freshman 15” can sneak up on you quicker than you think! There are a few hacks to eating healthy on campus, and ways to accommodate all dietary needs, even if your school doesn’t advertise for it!

Avoid the Gross

Think of anything you could get at a fast-food restaurant and don’t get that.  If you don’t normally eat it every day at home, don’t start eating it every day at your new school! It may seem super fast and easy in between classes or when you are lazy and it’s already made for you, but these greasy and fried snacks can add up over time. Keep the fries, ice cream, chicken nuggets, and pancakes to once a week or special occasions like finals week and midterms to treat yo ‘self!

Salad Bar

My Favorite go-to for a healthy meal was always the salad bar during my first year of college.  At Central Washington University there is always a salad bar open in Holmes Dining Room (and at North Cafe)! With a bunch of great toppings available, you are able to control what you put on it, so you can build it to your specific dietary needs and likings. 

Veggie/Vegan/Gf/Df Friends

This was one of the hardest things for me moving to on-campus living. I am gluten and dairy-free so for me, this cut my options of what I could eat in the dining hall literally in half.  Most schools have options for us vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free, dairy-free babes, but sometimes it’s only one or two things. Learn what each food vendor offers what you are able to eat and don’t be afraid to mix and match (brown rice from one place, grilled chicken and veggies from another).  CWU has a place called The Green Table in Holmes dining that carries a bunch of friendly options and is a great place to start!

Breakfast All Day

Many schools (including CWU) have dining services that serve breakfast ALL DAY (I mean, it is the most important meal, right)? This is a great option throughout the day but try and choose healthier options. Again, you want to avoid the “junk”, so if this becomes your go-to try and stick with the eggs for good protein and some hash browns for energy, and not the stack of pancakes covered in syrup with an extra side of bacon for every meal. 

Finding the best places to grab a bite on campus might take the first few weeks before you find your favorites, but eating healthy on campus is possible! Don’t forget to mix up what you eat every meal do you don’t get tired of the food in the first month of school! Let us know if you have any tips of your own, and have a great year Kitties!

HCXO

Her Campus CWU President, Editor-in-chief, and Writer Senior at Central Washington University Major: Social Services Minor: Communications