Style > Beauty

How to Easily Go From Simple to Spooky Glam Using Liquid Latex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

With Halloween falling on a Thursday this year, most of us don’t have time to go out and buy an amazing costume, let alone put together an intricate makeup look. When I get home from a long day of school or work, the only things on my mind are Tik Tok and Cheez-Its, not a Halloween party that I have to be at in an hour. But, that’s why I did some digging and found the easiest way for you to look seriously scary in only ten steps using liquid latex and fake blood! Liquid Latex is what’s usually used for special FX makeup that you can probably see in your favorite horror film. It seems intimidating at first, but is seriously so easy to use when you have all the right tools! Follow along with me, and let’s get spooky-ooky!

What You’ll Need

• Liquid latex
  • Fake blood
  • White or black face paint crayon
  • Red face paint or lipstick
  • Brown Lipstick/Eyeliner (optional)
  • Foundation primer (optional)
  • Tweezers and/or Eyebrow scissors
  • Foundation brush
  • Lipstick brush
  • Eyeliner brush
  • Makeup sponge

(Side note: I heavily recommend purchasing new makeup brushes from the dollar store for this look, or having makeup wipes handy to wipe off your brushes as soon as you’re done with them. Liquid latex isn’t the easiest to get out of makeup brushes!)

Step One

Apply your primer on the lower half of your face, or wherever you’re choosing to apply the liquid latex. This is super important since the chemicals in the latex and blood we’ll be using aren’t exactly great for your skin. This is totally optional though, so if you don’t have any or want to add primer, skip to step two! 

Step Two

Take your face paint crayon and outline where you will be putting your liquid latex. Make sure your lines aren’t completely straight or neat. You want to make this look as realistic as possible!

Step Three

Put a dollop of liquid latex on a clean palette or the back of your hand. Take your eyeliner brush, dip it into the liquid latex, and go over the white outline you just made. 

Step Four

Put another dollop of liquid latex on the back of your hand. Take your clean foundation brush, take a large amount of liquid latex onto it, and apply it onto the outlined area. Do four to five layers of this, allowing it to mostly dry in between layering. 

Step Five

Once your last layer is mostly dry, you’ll want to take your tweezers and begin lightly pulling at the latex all around the applied area. This will give the latex the gritty texture we’re going for! To give the “skin” a tight look, pinch a piece of the latex with your tweezers and twist it.

Step Six

To add cuts and scrapes, take your eyebrow scissors and carefully poke a hole into the latex. Then, go under that hole, and simply begin cutting! Take the “skin” flaps that were made from the cut you just made, and peel it apart just a little bit. This will look like an open wound. 

Step Seven

Once you add as many cuts, scrapes, and holes as you’d like, take your lipstick brush, dip it into the red face paint, and apply that to the inside of all those sick lesions you just made. You can even add a little bit on the outside of them to add an irritated look to the skin!

Step Eight

Next, use your foundation sponge, put some red face paint onto it, and start tapping away at all of the areas that have liquid latex on it. This will make the skin look extra irritated and injured. 

Step Nine

This step is also optional but will make your wounds look way more realistic. Use your brown lipstick or lip pencil and make small marks on the inside of those fake cuts. Then, blend out the harsh lines with your clean lipstick brush.

Step Ten

The last, final, and best step is adding the fake blood! If your fake blood is in a tube, like mine, gently squeeze the blood onto all of the wounds you created. Then, take the same lipstick brush you used earlier and blend out any blood that doesn’t look seamless and real. 

My Final Look

Going from glam to gore should never be too scary to try. Remember, this halloween look is supposed to be everything BUT perfect! Feel free to make it even more horrifying than I did, and add whatever finishing touches you think will be super spooky. This is the perfect look to add onto your everyday makeup look you may already have on, and, even though Halloween on a weekday may seem like a damper, with such an easy look, your night will be anything but! Happy Halloween and stay safe, babes!