This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

In times like these where getting together with your friends just isn’t in the cards, it can be tough to keep your Instagram feed looking sharp. Here are my favorite tips on how to take post-worthy pictures socially distanced style.

Lighting

I can’t stress enough how lighting will change your pictures. My favorite time of day to go out for a DIY photoshoot is around 3 pm to 6 pm, or whenever golden hour is, depending on the season. This picture I got during golden hour and it made such a difference in how glowy and natural my photo came out!

Woman in leather jacket standing in front of brick wall
Original photo by Hannah Beierman

Location

My second tip is location, location, location. I live in a super small town, so I have to get creative to make my feed interesting. Don’t be afraid to take pictures in public! It may be uncomfortable to get a couple of weird looks from people but trust me, it’s totally worth it. In this shot, I actually asked the cashier if I could take photos inside the gas station. He looked at me like I was crazy but c’mon, look at how cool this picture turned out!

Woman standing in isle
Original photo by Hannah Beierman

Gear

The best investment I made this year was a portable ring light and tripod. This one from Amazon has been perfect for taking pictures, making TikToks, and even looking bomb AF during Zoom meetings! This ring light has 3 light settings and adjustable brightness. The best part is that the ring light piece detaches from the foldable tripod, making it easy to throw in the car.

Another great gadget to have on deck is a Bluetooth remote that connects to your phone. The ring light I linked above comes with one, but if you’re anything like me you will lose it almost immediately. Here are some good replacements from Amazon. I keep one of these in my car as well as a mini tripod just in case I find a really great spot for a picture while I’m out. If you don’t want to spend any extra money on Bluetooth remotes, I highly suggest the Lens Buddy app for iOS. You can set a timer and get into place, then the app will automatically take a handful of high-quality photos and save them directly to your camera roll!

woman in black floral dress and white sneakers showing outfit details
Original photo by Hannah Beierman

Combine all of these tricks and tips and I promise your Instagram feed will go from good to influencer just like magic! Now you can go into the new year with a new feed, even if you’re self-isolating. Let us know if you try any of these tips over on our CWU Her Campus Instagram page. And of course, much love from all of the HC babes!

XOXO HC

HC CWU Events and Marketing Director / Personal Financial Planning & Entrepreneurship / Cancer Sun