This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

We all need new recipes to show off to the family or for the coworker’s holiday party that you forgot about last minute and need something fast for. Sometimes you need to show off those baking skills to your family in what you learn in college besides in the classroom.  Here are some of my favorite recipes during this time of year.  

Hot Chocolate Dip 
  • Marshmallow Fluff 
  • Cool Whip 
  • Hot Chocolate Mix ( 2 packets or 1/ 3 cup )  

Step 1. Start by combining thawed Cool Whip and Marshmallow Fluff in a big bowl.

Step 2. Start by mixing in one packet at a time until both packets are fully mixed in. 

Step 3. Pour the hot chocolate dip into a small bowl for serving with cookies or graham crackers, I add mini marshmallows on top but that is up to you. 

Grinch Cookies
  • 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract 
  • Green food coloring
  • Red heart sprinkles

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. 

Step 2: In another large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add green food coloring until your desired color is reached or until your heart grows double in size. 

Step 3: Using a medium cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons), scoop dough 2” apart onto prepared baking sheets. Place a heart sprinkle in the middle of each cookie. 

Step 4: Bake until edges are set and bottoms start to turn golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets.

Chessmen Cookies 
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 c. (115 g.) powdered sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3 c. (360 g.) all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
  • 2 large egg yolks

Step 1: In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter, and powdered sugar on low speed until sugar is incorporated and butter turns pale for about two minutes. Please scrape down the side of the bowl then add your eggs, vanilla, and salt and beat on medium speed for a minute or until combined. Using a flexible spatula, fold in flour until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Then wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until very firm. For about an hour make sure you set a timer. When this part is done pull dough out of the refrigerator. 

Step 2: Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Step 3: Divide dough in half and keep one half wrapped in the refrigerator. On a floured work surface, using a standard rolling pin, roll the dough to a 12″-by by-9″ rectangle. Lightly dust the top of the dough with flour, using a springerle roller pin and or cookie stamp. Personally, I like to use a stamp pattern in the dough. Trim around the edges of the patterns of your cookies carefully when you do this, separating the dough into individual cookies and arranging them on one of the prepared baking sheets 

Step 4: In a medium bowl lightly beat your egg yolks. It is okay to take your anger out on them. Therapy isn’t cheap girl and you just finished finals. Once your anger is out and your yoke is beaten, brush them on the edges of your patterns. Bake until set 10 to 12 minutes should do.  

Christmas Crack 
  • 35-40 Saltine Crackers 
  • 1 cup Butter 
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  •  2 cups Semi-Sweet chocolate 
  • 1 / 2 cup Any toppings of choices 

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If need be throw a couple of bad notes in the oven to get it to 400 degrees. Line a 10 x 15-inch backing sheet with backing paper or aluminum foil of your choice and spray with cooking spray.

Step 2:  Add the saltine crackers in rows on the baking sheet and then set that aside for now. 

Step 3: In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter and brown sugar and whisk and let it boil for a few minutes. 

Step 4: Now bring back that baking sheet, pour that toffee all over those saltines, and make sure it spreads out to all the crackers. Make sure it is fair; I understand that life isn’t fair but make sure their short-lived food life is fair. Just because your older or younger sibling got more gifts during the holidays, doesn’t mean you have to take it out on them. Take it up with your parents. Now add that to your 400-degree oven for five minutes. Once removed from the oven add the bag of hopefuls and a full bag of chocolate chips.

Step 5: Now move fast and spread those b*aches all over the saltine crackers. Once it is fully cool you can break this treat into many pieces you want or you can cut then that’s up to you. 

Hi am Lauren I am from Poulsbo WA, I am a junior this year majoring in social services and minoring in Law and Justice. I work a full time job at Central Washington Disability Resources helping people who self identify with a disability find housing or get on social security disability or even apply for food stamps. I enjoy writing topics about people with disabilities and laws around woman’s rights.