This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As social contact has continued to be limited, I have found myself stuck in a slump of a routine that I find comfortable. A routine can be incredibly helpful especially at a time like this when everything else is so up in the air. However, we can’t get too wrapped up in a routine that we forget to try new things and deviate from our normal at times. Here are a few ways that I have seen people breaking out of their comfort zones lately.

For a lot of people, I know that even before quarantine began their mental illnesses kept them from stepping out of their box of comfort. So now with all this free time to think and everything happening in the world, they have decided to do one new thing every day. One particular person that I found on Tik Tok wakes up at 5 am every day and does something new. Another version of this is writing down everything you want to do before a certain age on sticky notes and do them at your own pace. Maybe get a group of friends together, you all make your own list and hold each other accountable for doing even just one thing a month. We all need a little shove to keep progressing sometimes, so having a clear cut goal for what you want to do and sticking to a time frame pushes you out of your comfort zone even more. If you decide to do this idea but need inspiration, here are my suggestions: dance in the rain, go on a hike, remake your favorite movie scene, cliff jump, sew a whole outfit or knit, record your thoughts in a journal for a year, or build a gingerbread house.

Another idea is for my shy people who want to be more confident. This has two parts, but the first is to get comfortable with your face and body. Look at yourself in the mirror every day and list the things that you love about yourself. Just like no one notices the tiny imperfections you can pick out, few people will notice that one little freckle that you love. That is okay because you’re doing this for you. This will be hard at first which is where the second part comes in. Have photoshoots! Do them with a friend who can help take pictures of you when you feel beautiful. You can dress up for them or just save that really cute selfie you took to send to someone else. When you’re looking in the mirror and start tearing yourself down, think about those pictures, pull them up, remember how beautiful and carefree you felt in those moments. Eventually when you look at yourself in the mirror and those negative thoughts creep in you’ll be able to shut them down immediately. 

Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be an incredible way to find new interests and make new friends. However, you know your limits so be gentle with yourself. Protect your energy and spirit but don’t cage yourself in. There is a whole world out there with opportunities for us all. We just have to take a deep breath and open ourselves up to them!

Her Campus CWU Writer Current Junior at Central Washington University Majoring in Liberal Studies with a Business minor A yellow enthusiast through and through