This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Ok, I know a lot of people think that Americans do Christmas the best, but let me just tell you, that is completely WRONG. Germans take Christmas VERY seriously. Over winter break, I traveled to Germany and The Netherlands for ten days. And while my mom, sister, and I had to buy parkas while we were there because we were horribly underdressed, we had such an amazing time! I have a lot of German heritage, as my mom was born and lived there until she was five, and Germany is the place that my grandparents fell in love, so this trip was extra special. But Christmastime in Germany is absolutely magical.

Every town that we went to had a huge Christmas market, with tons of little shops and food vendors. Everywhere you walk in a Christmas market, people are sipping on hot cups of mulled wine, or gluhwein. My favorite Christmas market that I visited had to be in Cologne. Strings of lights connected the shops and in the middle was a stage where performers played Christmas music. The food at the Christmas markets is absolutely amazing. The amount of candied almonds that I ate was almost criminal. My mom, sister and I had such a great time on our trip, and I seriously can’t wait for the next time I get to experience Christmas in Germany.

Be sure and check out our other features for this week!

HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)