Fun Facts About Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. Cinco de Mayo is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, but in the United States Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.

Here are some facts for you to remember on Cinco de Mayo, when your sipping on your marg next Saturday:

According to the California Avocado Commission, Americans consume up to 81 million pounds of avocados on Cinco de Mayo every year. Holy guacamole!

The United States consumes twice as much Tequila as Mexico, where the drink originated from.

One U.S. city celebrates Cinco de Mayo with a Chihuahua race. Can you guess which city? It’s Chandler, Arizona.

The world’s largest Cinco de Mayo party is in Los Angeles, California! Other U.S. cities throw big celebrations for Cinco de Mayo such as Denver, New York, Phoenix and Houston.

Do miss the chance to hangout with some friends, eat some guac, and celebrate Mexican culture and heritage next Saturday.

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.