matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Ellensburg Community Mourns the Loss of Their Fallen Deputy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

This past Thursday, our community laid to rest Deputy Ryan Thompson who was killed in the line of duty last Tuesday, March 19th. His service was held at Nicholson Pavilion with upwards of 4000 people in attendance. Those included were his friends and family, community members, law enforcement personnel from across the country and even Canada. The service was broadcasted across multiple news stations. The Kittitas County Sheriff’s office also live streamed the service on their Facebook page. During the service, friends shared their dearest memories of Thompson as well as their favorite things about him. For most, he will be remembered for his warm, room-filling laugh, and his slow pace of enjoying life. 

The selfless profession of law enforcement officers and first responders is a special gift to all communities. There is no other profession that brings people together in the way that this profession can. Although Deputy Thompson’s death is accompanied by deep sadness and grief, there have been strong glimmers of strength. It is bad in our world. However, there is also good that will outshine the bad every time. We are all inherently good. We have it within in us to share that good with one another. As a local to Ellensburg, witnessing our community show up for each other, and especially the Thompson family has been incredibly profound. It was the reminder I needed that goodness always prevails. 

I didn’t know Deputy Thompson personally, but I will remember him for years to come. If you would like to donate to his family, there has been a gofundme created for his wife and three children. 

Senior at Central Washington Univ. majoring in Psychology. Trying to spread kindness and joy in everything I do.