This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

So I’m sure you all have heard all over the media about the injustice that happened to George Floyd. As a result, many people have taken to the streets to protest and cause riots. Although the protests have good intentions, there is a big risk of people catching the coronavirus because it is impossible to socially distance in a massive crowd, and you don’t know who has it or not. It’s also not safe due to the looting and tear-gassing occurring. Instead, I compiled a list of 10 things you can do to still spread awareness and benefit the Black Lives Matter movement. 

Sign Petitions and Donate Money.

Here are two for George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor.

https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/justiceforfloyd_george_floyd_minneapolis

www.runwithmaud.com

https://justiceforbreonna.org/

WARNING: DO NOT DONATE TO CHANGE.ORG!! They were found guilty of not giving the money to the organizations. 

1. Text and call the following to demand justice for the innocent lives taken. 

• Text Floyd to 55-156

• Text Justice to 66-8336

• Text Enough to 55-165

• Leave a message for Louisville Mayor and demand justice for Breonna Taylor 502-574-2

• Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels

Register to vote if you have not done so already.

November is coming protest signs
Photo by Rosemary Ketchum from Pexels

Every single vote counts, and you have to vote for the president that you know will fight for justice and fix the broken criminal justice system.

Educate yourself.

Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com on Unsplash

There are many websites such as NAACP or blacklivesmatter.com that will provide you with resources and facts as to how many African Americans have had their lives taken away from them simply because of the color of their skin.

Talk to your family.

They can also help fight for justice, and educate themselves on the police brutality that occurs every year. A lot of minority races tend to believe in their implicit bias and believe that things that happen in the news do not apply to them. However, they don’t realize that we make up a majority of the world’s population and have all the same exact resources as White people to educate ourselves and make a difference.

Follow
Photo via Pixabay on Pexels

Instagram accounts to educate yourself and learn about what is currently happening. 

• @blklivesmatter

• @colorofchange

• @naacp

• @showingupforracialjustice

• @civilrightsorg

Give back to your community.

sign saying fight today for a better tomorrow
Markus Spiske / Pexels

Look up your city and ways you can volunteer to repair the damage done in cities from looting.

Buy or support Black artists work.

Most of the time all the proceeds will be donated to support the BLM movement.

These were the most common tips that I found on social media. Remember that the way that you contribute to the movement is not the same way that other people will contribute and that is okay. Every person fighting for justice is what matters. Also, understand that these are unprecedented times, and everyone is uncomfortable with what is going on in the world. Stay safe and stay educated!!

I'm a freshman at CWU hoping to pursue education and marketing with a film and theater minor. I love to watch YouTube, journal, and paint during my free time. Check out my social media to connect with me!