This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As a person with tattoos, it crosses my mind occasionally that employers might not like tats. Since tattoos have long been associated with outlaws, rebels, and gang members, people who want tattoos may have good reason to be apprehensive when thinking about getting an easily seen tat. While some employers may be prejudiced against those with tattoos, less may care than one might think. 

A survey done by Workopolis in 2014 asked 327 employers how a candidate’s tats would impact the employer’s decision to hire a said candidate. At the time, 13.85 percent of the employers said that they would, in fact, be less likely to hire someone based on having tattoos. However, a good 22.77 percent of employers said it would not affect their decision, while 63.08 of those surveyed said it would depend on the circumstances (where the tattoos are, which position they’re hiring for). Out of everyone surveyed, there was actually also one lone person, making up .31 percent of the total, that said they’d be more likely to hire someone with tattoos. While these numbers may seem to hinder to us tattoo-d folk, these numbers are from 2014, and basically 6 years have gone by since then.

In a more recent study (taking place in 2018, surveying 2,064 people) I found on the website Bustle, it was found that employees with tattoos versus without had no distinguishable wage/job differences. In fact, they found that as a man, it may even increase your chances of snagging a job. This may be explained by the fact that tattoos are more common in blue-collar jobs, which many men have. 

In conclusion, I encourage you to get tattoos if you want them. It does not seem to make a huge difference in the job force anymore. The only exception that I seem to find is that if you work in an old people’s home, they may not like your tattoos because it wasn’t part of their culture when they were younger. As the new generations become the employers rather than the employees, there will likely be much more accepting of all sorts in the workplace.

And besides, why would you want to work for someone who judges you based on the art on your body? 

Here are the articles if you want to check them out:

https://careers.workopolis.com/advice/research-reveals-how-your-tattoos-affect-your-chances-of-getting-the-job/

https://www.bustle.com/p/does-having-a-tattoo-affect-getting-a-job-a-new-study-says-actually-no-10095750

Thanks for reading, and remember to do whatever makes you feel like you.

HCXO

Abby Duchow is a Wenatchee Valley College alum and current student studying Public Relations at Central Washington University. She enjoys listening to podcasts, online shopping, and petting cats. Abby almost entirely operates on caffeine, and hopes to one day expand her plant collection beyond just replacing the dead ones.