This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Halloween costumes have a reputation for being a lot more expensive than the quality deserves, and most costumes will only be used once. In order to be more sustainable and cost-effective, I typically make my own costumes. Here are some costume ideas as well as the steps in order to create your own:

Regina George, Mean Girls

Supplies needed:

White tank top

Brightly colored bra

Scissors

Skirt

This costume is pretty self-explanatory, all you have to do is cut out two circles in your tank top and put it on. If you don’t want to cut your shirt, you can either cut circles out of colorful paper and tape them on, or you can either use some scrap fabric or an old piece of clothing and cut out circles and either glue or tape them on. 

Mummy:

Supplies Needed:

A lot of rolled Gauze (you can find this near the pharmacy aisle of nearly every department store)

Brewed coffee/tea

Black spandex and bandeau (undergarments) 

Directions:

1. Begin by unrolling all of the gauzes

2. Submerge gauze in coffee/tea in order to stain it a brownish color

3. Leave it submerged until the desired color is reached. I recommend at least one full day. (Keep in mind it will look a lot darker wet vs dry)

4. Lay gauze flat to dry

5. Put on undergarments and wrap gauze around your body to get the desired look. (you might need some help from a friend) 

If it begins to unravel, don’t worry, you are supposed to look like someone who just emerged from being underground for years. 

La Croix:

Supplies needed: 

Big white T-shirt (I recommend looking in the men’s section, they are always cheaper)

Tie Dye

Black fabric marker

Blue fabric marker

Optional: Fishnet tights, Black Spandex

Directions:

1. Look up the inspiration of which flavor you want to be, this will affect which color you choose (pink, orange, blue, yellow, purple).

2. Crinkle the T-shirt in no particular way (I literally just scrunched it up as if I was scrunching a piece of paper)

3. Pour the desired color of tie-dye on top of the shirt, but make sure there are still visible white patches

4. Place shirt in a plastic bag to set

5. Let color set for at least 6-8 hours, the longer you wait the darker the color, also if you place the bag in a warmer area, the color will become darker faster. 

6. Once the shirt is set, wash and dry it ALONE in cold water with no soap to make sure the dye doesn’t transfer

7. Use the fabric markers to draw on the “La Croix” logo

Hopefully one of these costumes is a perfect fit for you this Halloween season, work your look and work it hard! most importantly stay safe our there Kitties!

I am a current freshman at Central Washington University. I am on my way to becoming a middle school counselor. Some fun facts about me are I love arts and crafts, I am very passionate about mental health, and you will probably never see me without a cup of coffee in my hand.