This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Going to college is already a challenging job on its own, but adding work onto it and then still trying to have somewhat of a social life is a lot to fit into a 24 hour day. So let’s just take a look into a day in the life of a working college student!

close up of white alarm clock
Photo by Acharaporn Kamornboonyarush from Pexels

I start off my day by waking up between 6:15 – 6:45 am to get ready for work. Then depending on the weather, I’ll leave anywhere between 6:50 and 7:20 to either walk or bike to work.

Then once my shift at work is over, I walk or bike back home and hunker down to do some school work. I will then make a smoothie or have a bowl of oatmeal and some coffee to fill me up until the afternoon. With a busy schedule, a nice balanced diet filled with nutrients will benefit you greatly. 

Shortly after I get some food in my system, I will make my way back to work for my second shift of the day. By walking and biking to and from work, it is a great way for me to get my daily exercise in but also is a great time for me to get out of my head and just be present. 

By the time my second shift comes to an end, I make my way back home and eat a small snack on the way in preparation for either an hour at the gym or a little yoga session in my room. This is followed by more homework and study time before I rest for the night. 

I value my mental health very much and especially in the world we are living in right now, it is very important to take time to yourself and better yourself. I try to not do any homework after 6-6:30 pm so that way my brain has time to unwind and relax before I go to bed. 

Vegan dinner and vegetables on a table
Photo by Ella Olsson from Pexels

After I finish up my last homework assignment for the night, I make myself some dinner and watch a little Netflix or start a movie. Then I take a shower to fully relax from my crazy day and put on cozy clothes as I cuddle into bed and continue what I was watching earlier. 

As my day comes to an end, I either journal or read a couple of pages from my book to help my brain transition from screen to sleep. I am normally asleep between 9:30-10:30 pm during the week so that I get enough sleep to support me for my next crazy busy day. 

2 journals spread out on a blank background with a pen and faux plant
Photo by Gabrielle Henderson from Unsplash

This is currently the cycle of my life as a working college student, but I hope you all also have great schedules that fit your lifestyle too! Tailor your schedule to focus on your academics or anything else that’s important to you!

Henley is a freshman at Central Washington University and is trying to find her passion. As a freshman, she is still looking into what career path she is interested in. Some of her interests include going to the gym, watching movies, cooking/baking, and just hanging out with friends!