This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

A Court of Thorns and Roses” written by Sarah J. Maas has been a novel I find myself reading at least twice a year. This is the first book out of five, and in my opinion, the best one. This book is a new retelling of the classic novel “Beauty and The Beast”. 

Our story begins in a forest where fairies and humans live together. But, unlike Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, they do not live in harmony. Our protagonist is Feyre who when we meet her, is hunting to provide for her poor family. Her family has been shunned by society and they have fallen into poverty and are on the brink of starvation. Their family was wealthy once. Her father was “the prince of merchants” and her mother was a woman that cared only about popularity and their status. Tragedy struck the family when their mother died. Their father placed all their money into a trading business overseas, but the ships were lost. Due to the debt, their father was hunted down and badly injured physically and mentally. Once they were all dried up on money, they were forced to leave their home and live in a smaller village. 

The Walt Disney Company
Feyre was responsible for bringing food back to her family but it was a challenge when having to truck through the snow-covered forest during the harsh winter. She sees a doe in the distance and when she makes the choice to shoot it, she also sees a wolf. She faces a great struggle between taking down the doe or going for the wolf because wolves can also be faeries and she has a great hatred for them. 

There is a price for killing a faerie, a life for a life. Due to her actions, she is brought to the faerie lands of Prythian to live out the rest of her days for the murder. 

​

Miranda Almodovar

I hope you decide to take a chance on this series, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed. I will point out that the first book is not loved by all readers, but it is definitely crucial when continuing through the four others. Even if you do not care for the first one, keep reading! Trust me, it gets better!

Thank you for reading my book of the month article this week! Spring has sprung so enjoy the outdoors and soak up the sun!

Creative and Professional Writing Aspiring author and publisher Gemini Slytherin house