Commuting to Campus

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Commuting to campus every day, especially if you are not within city limits, is a hardship for many students. As an Ellensburg local who lives about 15 minutes from town, commuting to and from campus every day is a daily chore that often leaves me fatigued by the end of the day. If you are like me and have to commute to class every day, then you know the struggles of having to commute to campus. 

As exhausting as it is to commute to campus on a daily basis, there are a few important things to consider while on your daily commute. From checking the weather the night before to giving yourself enough time to get ready in the morning, a little brightness will be added to your daily commute to campus that will make it smooth sailing. 

1. plan ahead

One thing that helps me as I prepare for my daily commute to campus is planning ahead. Specifically, I find that packing my backpack with the appropriate necessities such as notebooks, assignments, and lecture notes, as well as any feminine care items the night before helps as I am getting ready the following morning.

In addition to packing my backpack the night before, I find that checking the weather, especially in cases of extreme weather such as snow and ice is helpful when I need to give myself extra time in the morning to defrost my car and get any snow off of it as necessary. In circumstances when I need to be more cognizant of the road conditions, I also find that giving myself extra driving time when the weather requires it, is helpful.

2. keep spare items in your glove box

You never know when you might need to have extra personal care items, snacks, or emergency items on hand, they could save you in times of emergency. Spare items can be anything from a hairbrush, a stick of deodorant, and granola bars to feminine products. In situations where you are stuck on the side of the road or need to freshen up if you don’t have time to go home in between classes, these items can benefit you in these situations which brings me to my next point.

3. have a plan in place if the unexpected happens

In situations where your car breaks down on the side of the road or you have a flat tire, it is best to have a plan in place that will benefit you in these situations. For one, it is important to always have a spare tire if one of your tires goes flat, as well as a tool kit for changing your tire. Secondly, it is also important to have a spare battery on hand for when your car battery dies. When in doubt, you can always call for a tow truck or a friend for assistance.

If you are a student commuting to campus every day, I hope that taking these things into consideration will make for a successful commute to campus. 

XO Her Campus

Hi there! I am third-year student at CWU majoring in psychology with a minor in theatre arts. In my spare time, I enjoy baking, reading, singing, and exercising.