Culture > News

Colin Kaepernick and the NFL Settle the Collusion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

For the last two and a half years, Colin Kaepernick has deliberately been kept from playing in the NFL for his activism against police shootings of African American men across the country. Although there have been no explicit statements confirming this from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell or team owners. His actions are the exact reason why he hasn’t been signed to a team for the last two and a half years and we can all smell the really bad, burnt, old coffee that is their collusion powers. Kaepernick and his former teammate, Eric Reid, filed a collusion case against the NFL. Their lawyers have been working on putting together evidence and testimony from NFL owners regarding their collective effort to keep Kaepernick and Reid from playing in the league. After two years, they have reached a surprised settlement with the NFL. 

While it is unclear if Kaepernick will ever return to the NFL, this is a milestone agreement for him none the less. I would love to see Kaepernick make a return to the NFL but I know he is accomplishing even better work off the field. He keeps himself busy with his youth program, I Know My Rights. He is still very active with his protesting and speaking out towards the injustices. Author Michael MacCambridge said “The most important thing is he started a really important conversation that we’ve been having for a couple of years, and the people who were willing to have that conversation have learned some things”. I understand some of you reading this article perhaps are not familiar with these conversations that Kaepernick is facilitating. However, I strongly encourage everyone to at least step in and participate.  No matter which side you come out on after the conversation, you can say you have actively tried to be part of the social changes within our country. 

Senior at Central Washington Univ. majoring in Psychology. Trying to spread kindness and joy in everything I do.