you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Chasing the Dream and Not the Dollar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As graduation quickly approaches, it’s easy to focus on what’s going to feed you after you leave your college apartment and not what is going to feed your soul. But why can’t you have both? Millennials are always catching so much flack for being to sensitive, avoiding hard work and not having much money. But at the end of the day, I believe kids today are more focused on doing what makes them happy and not what makes them rich.

For years people have gone into careers and industries that are going to make them money but more often than not end of leaving or hating their lives for 32 years and counting the days until the days of retirement. Is that what you really want to do? Live your life just building onto your 401k every time you go into work instead of building onto your personal growth or growing in something you’re passionate about!

What we forget sometimes is opportunity is always out there, you just have to go find it. If you have to choose between a job or a passion, always go with your passion. Maybe in the short term it will seem like a mistake but in the long term you’ll most likely be thankful that you made the decision to jump into the unknown instead of simply doing what’s practical.

Just think, what if Jeff Bezos thought Amazon was ‘far fetched” or if Oprah thought she should remain a local weather girl for the rest of your life? We wouldn’t have Oprah or Amazon… and that the kind of world I don’t want to see. Even worse, what if Windsor, Annie and Stephanie thought HC was just a project and decided to go off and work for some lame guy in a downtown New York office? We wouldn’t be writing to you on the #1 online magazine for collegiate women right now, that’s for sure.

If you’re looking for a sign, then here it is. Chase your dreams and the dollars will follow.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!