danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Calling all my Senior Ladies: Do You Have Your Post Grad Job?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Talking to all my Senior Ladies: 

Have you started your job hunting yet? Don’t panic if you haven’t, but it’s a good time to start thinking about it. Now is a good time because you’re getting a head start on the available jobs. Come June, there will be thousands of other freshly graduated, career ready, money hungry adults just like you seeking out the same jobs you want. By the time you start applying for jobs come this spring or summer, most of the jobs are already filled. Get ahead of the race before everyone else! I dedicated a lot of my winter break towards job searching and applying. To my relief, it was actually less painful and time-consuming than I expected! Here are some tricks to use when you start job hunting.

Resume

Ask 2 or 3 business professionals that you personally know to look over your resume. Don’t know any business professionals? Ask a friend who is resume savvy that you trust will have valuable feedback. I’m fortunate to have two friends in the HR field. I asked both of them to look over my resume and provide feedback and I was not disappointed!

Cover Letter

There are mixed opinions on cover letters. But after talking with my said HR friends, cover letters are a make or break. This is how you can set yourself apart from other applicants without a face to face meeting. Of course, you will make edits to your cover letter depending on where you apply to so try and keep a good baseline for your letter. And talk yourself up! Prove to the company why they need you on their team.

Use ‘Indeed’ Website

I found almost all the jobs I’ve applied for through Indeed. You can upload your resume and cover letter to your Indeed profile so applying for jobs is as easy as just a few clicks. You can also make your resume public so hiring managers can seek you out for a job that you suit. 

LinkedIn

I have to admit that I am not a LinkedIn user yet. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be either! There are so many possible connections through LinkedIn that you may not find through regular job hunting. It’s also a valuable way to out your assets and skills on clear display for employers to see.

Do you have other tips and tricks on how to jump-start your career post-grad? Make sure to lets us know!

Senior at Central Washington Univ. majoring in Psychology. Trying to spread kindness and joy in everything I do.