Bohemian Rhapsody Knocked it Out of the Park, Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

source

I don’t know if you’ve been living under a rock, but the epic biopic Bohemian Rhapsody about the legendary rock band Queen came out at the beginning of this month, and as a long-time Queen fan, I absolutely LOVED it. The filming style itself set a new bar for biopics, and the level of dedication that the crew had to the authenticity of the story was so obvious in its entirety. The actors who played various members of the band, including Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury, Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor, Joseph Mazzello as John Deacon, and Gwylim Lee as Brian may, did an amazingly accurate job portraying them, and even former band member Brian May had something to say about Rami Malek’s performance as the flamboyant frontman. Oscar nods are definitely rightfully deserved. 

While there were some smudges in the story itself, like the actual creation of the band and Mercury’s AIDs diagnosis, the film did a great job portraying the spirit of the band and the epic Live Aid concert in 1985 that delivered an epic finale to the film. I did shed a few tears during the film, particularly from a scene with Mercury and his parents. I have a special place in my heart for Queen, so this movie was especially bitter sweet for me, as Mercury’s eventual death from AIDs-related pneumonia in 1991 was looming towards the end. It truly is a tragedy, as Mercury’s legacy will never be forgotten and Queen’s impact on music will forever be remembered.

And even if you’re not a Queen fan, I would still recommend this movie. It’s an entertaining story that will keep any audience member tapping their toes!

HCXO

Self-love advocate and intersectional feminist with a passion for music, photography, and writing (she/her)