This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

If you’ve seen Gossip Girl or heard anything about the massively popular show from the early 2000’s, you’re sure to have heard the name Blair Waldorf. The socialite from the upper east side, who’s best friend is the “it” girl Serena Vander Woodsen, and who’s constantly tangled up with the infamous bad boy Chuck Bass. While being one of the most powerful girls in Manhattan, I see Blair differently than the others. Sure, she loves shopping on 5th Ave and Chanel no. 5 just as much as the other girls, but unlike the others (especially Serena), she has an uncanny drive to better herself that I can’t help to respect. Sure, Serena gets nearly any boy she bats her lashes at, but that’s all she seems to be focused on in the show. Blair on the other hand literally pushes Chuck, the love of her life away because she knows they aren’t right for each other at that time. And that before they get together, she needs to be the boss ass bitch she knows she is.  

Even if some of her methods to hold her position as queen B are a little devious, would they really be all that fun if they weren’t? Blair cast’s what people think about her to the side when she runs away from her wedding with Louis. She tried something that had always been a dream of hers but didn’t settle when it turned out to be less than a fairytale. She dated Dan for heaven’s sake, (which in my opinion as a hardcore Chuck and Blair stan, was just plain wrong) to find herself. She knew Chuck was the love of her life, but she didn’t let that stop her from exploring what’s out there. Something I take great inspiration from. Blair also worked so hard to get into W magazine, to get into Columbia, to maintain the image of The Blair Waldorf. She knew the things she wanted for herself and she went out and got them.  

Today, there are way too many Serena’s. Girls just wanting the cutest boy or the most attention. But what does that do in the end? Make you someone who doesn’t have anything to her name except money? That may be fine for some people, but personally, I choose to follow in Blair’s footsteps. Create your life how you want it, succeed for yourself, and be the queen you can be, before boys. There’s always going to be another cutie out there, or if you have a Chuck Bass, he’ll be waiting until you’re ready. But until then, I recommend taking notes from Blair and make sure you love who you are before you love anyone else.  

Xoxo, L 

Lauren Miller is a sophomore at Central Washington University majoring in Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandizing. She enjoys Mac Miller, grapefruits, and acrylic nails. Her goal is to eventually study at Parsons School of Design in New York, and one day, be a designer at fashion weeks all over the world.