This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Being single can be a challenging experience, especially when it seems like everyone around you is in a relationship. It’s easy to feel like you’re the odd one out or that there’s something wrong with you for not being in a romantic partnership. However, being single can also be a time of growth, self-discovery, and personal development. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of being single and offer tips on how to cope with being single when it feels like everyone around you is in a relationship.

Benefits of Being Single

Being single can be a liberating experience, and it comes with many benefits. Here are some of the advantages of being single:

1. Time for Self-Discovery: When you’re single, you have more time to focus on yourself and your personal growth. You can explore your interests, try new things, and figure out who you are without the influence of a romantic partner.
  2. Freedom and Flexibility: Being single means you have the freedom to do what you want when you want. You don’t have to worry about checking in with someone or compromising on plans. You can be spontaneous and go wherever the wind takes you.
  3. Building Stronger Friendships: When you’re not in a relationship, you have more time to focus on your friendships. This can lead to stronger, more meaningful connections with your friends.
  4. Avoiding Drama: Relationships can be stressful and dramatic. Being single means you can avoid all the ups and downs that come with romantic partnerships.

Tips for Coping with Being Single

If you’re feeling down about being single, here are some tips to help you cope:

1. Shift Your Mindset: Instead of focusing on the fact that you’re single, try to focus on the positive aspects of your life. Think about your goals, your passions, and the things you’re grateful for.
  2. Connect with Others: Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you have to be alone. Connect with friends, family, and other like-minded people. Join a club or organization that interests you, or volunteer for a cause you’re passionate about.
  3. Practice Self-Care: Take care of yourself both physically and mentally. Exercise, eat healthy, and get enough sleep. Take time for yourself to relax and do something you enjoy, whether it’s reading a book or taking a long bath.
  4. Try New Things: Being single gives you the opportunity to try new things without worrying about anyone else’s opinion. Take a class, learn a new skill, or try a new hobby. This can help you meet new people and discover new passions.
  5. Remember Your Worth: Being single doesn’t define you or your worth. You are valuable and worthy of love and respect, whether you’re in a relationship or not.

Being single can be a challenging experience, especially when it feels like everyone around you is in a relationship. However, being single can also be a time of growth, self-discovery, and personal development. By shifting your mindset, connecting with others, practicing self-care, trying new things, and remembering your worth, you can cope with being single and make the most of this time in your life. Remember, being single is not a curse, but an opportunity to create a fulfilling and rewarding life on your own terms.

Henley is a freshman at Central Washington University and is trying to find her passion. As a freshman, she is still looking into what career path she is interested in. Some of her interests include going to the gym, watching movies, cooking/baking, and just hanging out with friends!