Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Being in a Long Distance Relationship During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Due to the stay-at-home order in place, it has prevented many people from seeing their loved ones. Being in a long-distance relationship during the pandemic adds a new challenge in seeing your significant other. With many states following their own response to COVID-19, it creates a very foggy future in knowing when it will be safe to go to other states.

airplane view
Photo by Ross Parmly on Unsplash
I have been in a long-distance relationship for a while now and not being able to see my significant other whenever I want has been challenging. I had a flight scheduled for spring break to go visit them, but I had to cancel due to COVID-19. Due to school, I hadn’t been able to see them in a very long time and spring break seemed like my one chance to. I was heartbroken that I wouldn’t be able to see them but held on to the hope I would be able to soon. However, I didn’t realize the stay-at-home order was going to last this long. It’s scary not knowing when I will be able to see them. I am holding onto hope that I will be able to see them this summer, but with so much uncertainty regarding COVID-19 it seems unlikely.

At the beginning of the stay-at-home order many couples had to make the decision of moving in together or being separated until the order dropped. Being a college student with roommates, along with not having a remote job, it didn’t leave me with the option of moving in with my significant other. Being isolated from the people you love for such a long duration of time can be challenging in many ways. However, I think it also has a silver lining.

Gaining a New Perspective

Woman sitting on a white window sill looking out into the distance
Photo by Alexandre Chambon on Unsplash
Being at home for such a long duration of time can really open your eyes to the people you love and the people you need to let go of. There comes clarity from being at home for so long with just your thoughts. In a way, distance really does make the heart grow founder and makes you realize if you can get through being long distance for so long, you can get through anything.

New Ways to Communicate

facetiming on a laptop
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
With technology so advanced now, video communication tools like FaceTime and Zoom also give an opportunity to still connect and spend quality time with loved ones. While not being able to be with your significant other in person is not the best situation, there is still the option of virtual dates. When it comes to connecting with other people virtually, creativity is a must. By using platforms like Zoom and FaceTime so much I’ve realized how much flexibility they really have. Just simply dressing in a cute outfit, putting on a fancy Zoom background, and eating dinner together can be an amazing date. Sites like Netflix Party allow you to watch movies and TV shows with other people as well. Having a virtual movie night also makes for a perfect date.

Looking Towards the Future

people riding on bikes during sunset
Via Everton Vila on Unsplash

Being away from your significant other can also help grow your emotional bond. I think it is important to talk about the future and what that looks like during this time. Talking about all the plans you want to do with your significant other will give you something to look forward to.

With everything going on, it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There is so much uncertainty right now, but looking forward to when things go back to normal will create hope.

Her Campus Writer Student at Central Washington University Majoring in Digital Journalism and Public Relations