Life > Experiences

A Glance Into the Cedar Creek Inn- Interview with M.B. Thurman Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I had the incredible joy of sitting down with the remarkable M.B. Thurman and discussing her successes in both her own writing and her inheritance of the Miller Tree (known to most as the book version of the Cullen house)Inn located in Forks Washington.

the interview

To start out, congratulations on all of your success. When we conducted our first interview, the book had been freshly released and the hype was just beginning. Since then, how has your life changed?

Thank you. It’s been a whirlwind, but it’s a lovely adventure. My husband and I bought the inn that inspired the Cedar Creek Inn in Summoned, which has been a huge lifestyle change for us. Summoned has grown in ways I couldn’t have anticipated – we have a growing cast bringing the series to life and an audiobook set to release on September 7 of this year. Truly, my life has changed in almost every way, and I feel incredibly grateful for that.

I know you have been discussing that book 2 is on the horizon for readers, what was the process like in terms of the sequel? Was it easier to dive right back into the world since you had already laid the foundation in book 1 or was it a challenge to branch off of the goldmine you had built? 

It was easier in some ways but more difficult in others. I’ve had more confidence with book 2 after going through the process with the first one – I know I can actually write a book now! But there’s also an expectation now that wasn’t there before. There are people who love Summoned and have fallen in love with the characters, and that was a daunting thought in the back of my mind for a while. Honestly, it caused some writer’s block (and anxiety!), but I was able to work through it, and though I will be nervous awaiting everyone’s reaction once the book releases, I’m growing more confident in my writing with each book.

The Summoned social media page has become a reader’s dream. We are all seeing the characters we love so dearly leap from the page to the camera lens. How has that been for you? Are there any moments that you will forever freeze and keep with you? 

Thank you! That is our ultimate goal, so it’s great to hear that. There have been so many “pinch me” moments as we’ve expanded into visual media. The first official shoot we did with Samantha (as Hadley) was surreal for me. That moment was the culmination of countless hours coming to life, and it will be with me always.

How was the audiobook process? I know from the updates on social media that it was full of long days and a range of emotions, but I can bet it was surreal and so special.

It was wild! I knew I wouldn’t be happy with a Summoned audiobook unless it was a multi-cast, which made the process more complicated, but it was completely worth it. The days were incredibly long, and we were constantly running on a couple hours of sleep. But our audio engineer was phenomenal, as was the cast, so it was as much fun as it was work. I’m really proud of what we accomplished, and I can’t wait for everyone to hear it!

In terms of your social media casting, do you have all the characters picked? How did you go about choosing the perfect people to represent the characters you built from scratch?

-Mostly, yes. With Hadley, for instance, I saw a photo of Samantha from a shoot she did back in NY, and everything about it screamed Hadley. I reached out and asked if she’d be interested, and thankfully she was. There are a few other characters where the process was the same. And for some characters, it’s been through casting websites. But with Molly, the actress we cast loved the character so much and put together an amazing cosplay. When I saw it, I was convinced I was looking at Molly, and we pulled her on board. I can’t wait to finally share the full cast with readers.

How has it been integrating both the twilight world and the summoned world into your inn?

It’s been a dream honestly. Our goal with the inn is that it’s a safe and beautiful environment where guests can get away and relax. For Twilight fans, that means they’re immersed in the book-accurate Twilight house. For Summoned fans, they’re immersed in the Cedar Creek Inn and can even stay in Hadley and Fitz’s room! It’s an honor and a joy to provide that escape for people.

summoned-the book you need in your life

Summoned is such a magical book. Here is a quick description and a link to the novel that quite literally changed my life.

Hadley Weston reunites with her secret love interest, Fitz MacGregor, in Paris, defying orders from governing officials that they remain apart. When they are mysteriously followed, Fitz must reveal an unbelievable truth: he’s a witch, and so is Hadley. While she cultivates her newfound power, Hadley partners with Fitz to solve a family mystery originating during seventeenth-century witch trials in Scotland. When evidence leads them to a witch raising an army in a foreign world, Hadley and Fitz are forced to make a crucial decision: align themselves with a government they distrust or allow this foreign power to utilize Fitz’s ancestral magic to destroy peace with humankind.” https://www.amazon.com/Summoned-M-B-Thurman/dp/1736155407

Once you are finished reading make sure to head over to @thesummonedseries on Instagram to see your beloved characters brought to life.

p.s., Molly is top tier.

Creative and Professional Writing Aspiring author and publisher Gemini Slytherin house