A Day in My Life: The Nutrition Science Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

My life at college at Central Washington University can be crazy sometimes, studying, classes, clubs, work and time with friends. Somehow, I make time for it all, but it can be overwhelming. Here’s what an average Tuesday looks like for me. 

Wake it up Girl, Time to Move Mountains – I wake up by 7:15 a.m. to get my day usually started every day, even on the weekends. I’ve discovered living on my own and being at college, I thrive off a daily routine. 

Get Ready with Me – I wash my face cause the “maskacne” is real and horrible. Hop in the shower, get dressed in my already planned out outfit the night before (yep, every day). Then it is time to throw some product in my hair and let it air dry for the most part, my hair is super temperamental and hates the heat, so I wait till it is literally almost dry, like hit it with the hairdryer for 2 minutes almost dry. Maybe do a little makeup cause I’m not too into a huge process of all that and call it good. Of course, brush your teeth, stay pearly.  

Breakfast of Champions – I hated breakfast with a passion until I got into college and then I realized I really should start my day with some energy. I typically go for a breakfast sandwich to get some protein, then some fresh fruit, along with some juice. When I’m not in the mood to do all that or am just feeling lazy, is a protein bar and a Naked Smoothie all the way. 

Study Session – I usually have at least two hours before my first class so I get any reading for the week or studying done to maximize my time during the day. 

Nutrition and Metabolism – The class I probably dread the most because it is so complex. It’s time to get the paper out and every colored marker you have so you can make a diagram that will have you asking “what the heck does this even mean?” after 50 minutes. 

Take a Break – Your brain can use a break after that mind-numbing class, it is usually filled with scrolling through Tik Tok or answering emails that I didn’t get to earlier that morning.

Food Research – I head to the Michaelson building for my food research class as we talk about the stages of our project and how we analyze data to build a paper detailing our findings throughout the last two quarters. 

Lunch Time – At this point, I’m ready to dive into a filling lunch, typically I make a salad loaded with all kinds of veggies and a bit of protein sometimes bacon or chicken, depending on my mood, add it with half a sandwich and some fruit and were feeling ready to tackle the rest of our busy day! 

Study, Study, Study – I take any free moment I have to study because I don’t want to stay up till 3 am studying, I mean who does?  I’m usually focused on Anatomy studying for labs or practical exams coming up.

Human Anatomy and Physiology Lab – Labs are self-guided so were working with a skeleton or muscle mannequins or even cadavers. We take this time to go over lists of bones or muscles and be able to identify them along with points of insertion and function. It’s a lot to digest and after about an hour and a half, it’s time to head out.

Make that Bank – Right after the lab I head to work in Bouillon Hall where I am a Student Caller in Donor Relations.  I get to call prospective donors and ask them to contribute a donation towards Central Washington University’s programs or scholarships. 

Her Campus – After I get out of work at 7 p.m., I head over to the SURC to hang out before we gather for our Her Campus meetings, my therapeutic part of the day. I love coming up with different ideas to write each week, it’s a creative boost for me.

Grub it up – Yep, dinner time is finally upon me. My go-to lately has been street tacos or a quesadilla with chips and guac, always hits the spot after a busy day. More importantly, I always make a point to FaceTime my mom so we can have dinner together.

Studying Never Stops – I told you, free moment = study time. Usually, it’s either studying for a test the next day or finishing up a last-minute assignment that I did not knock out earlier.

Shower and Decompress – I always start my relaxation time at the end of the night with a nice hot shower, comfy clothes, and crawling into bed watching a podcast on YouTube or scrolling through Tik Tok till I fall asleep.

That’s a day for me. Every one of them is completely different, but the common theme of it all is busyness.  It never stops. Don’t worry, the weekend is right around the corner. The late nights of studying are all worth it in the end, right?

My name is Katelyn Richardson. I am 29 years old. I am currently attending Central Washington University studying for my Master's in food and sciences to become a nutritionist and later a diabetes educator for kids. I've been personally battling type 1 diabetes since I was six years old. I love being outside, vintage shopping, watching movies, and going to stock car races! I love being a Her Campus Contributor because it gives me a platform to talk about current issues, topics I'm passionate about & real-life relatable experiences.