Style > Fashion

A Critique of Youtuber Aspyn Ovard’s Online Clothing Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Frequently when web celebrities branch into an industry that’s outside of their primary career, fans may question the quality of work put forth and assume it’s simply a “cash grab” for quick revenue with low effort. I placed a fairly large order from lifestyle YouTuber Aspyn Ovard’s online clothing store, Luca + Grae, after a few weeks of researching the brand’s journey. Here’s how it went.

The Clothes

I decided to place my order to Luca + Grae after months of browsing their Instagram because they had a massive Online Warehouse Sale, offering significant discounts for final sale items. I don’t support overconsumption in the fashion industry, but I was in desperate need of cold-weather staples this year and decided to give a smaller retailer a try. For $145 I received eight of the nicest quality clothing items that I have come across for quite some time, including three matching sets and two sweatshirts. Luca + Grae’s clothing style is very neutral-toned, feminine, and often basic pieces. I’ve been impressed with the quality of the fabrics, the colors consistent with the website photos, and the comfortable sizing!

Shipping

If I’m being honest, I had low hopes for the shipping from Luca + Grae. I know that they are a single warehouse located in Utah and figured it would take at least two weeks to receive my order after their massive sale. However, I was surprised to see my package at my doorstep just nine days after I hit “Place Order”. The clothes were packaged beautifully in custom tissue paper and matching packaging. If I remember correctly, the packaging was also recyclable! 10/10.

Web Presence

As someone who has studied social media and website design in college, I had to appreciate the obvious effort Luca + Grae has put into their online presence. Their website and Instagram complement the aesthetic of the clothes with neutral color schemes and simple backdrops. I placed my order through their mobile app, which was easy to use and looked extremely professional. I also enjoyed watching their TikToks! They don’t have as many followers on the platform, but their videos show styling tips, fashion trends, behind the scenes of photoshoots and their warehouse and more. It is fun to watch and inspiring to someone who enjoys fashion!

Diversity

Lastly, I have to comment on Aspyn Ovard’s attempts to include women of various sizes and ethnicities in her online presence. The store originally only offered sizes small, medium, and large, but has since added a “Curvy Collection” of plus-sized clothing. It took a while to launch this collection, but I can understand why. The store is located in Salt Lake City and their executives attend clothing conventions where they are able to pick and choose what they would like to sell. Therefore, it could be challenging for them to find various size ranges if the manufacturers they purchase from don’t create a wide range. Since the launch of the Curvy Collection, I think their team has done a great job at providing a wide range of products and keeping them in stock.

I also think that Ovard has done a pretty good job at trying to include models of various ethnicities in her photoshoots for her products. Their Instagram can sometimes lack diversity, but the actual website includes women of several backgrounds. However, their Instagram does frequently use consumer-generated content, so it may be more challenging for her to incorporate diversity into their Instagram if she chooses to primarily share photos directly from her customers.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I truly did enjoy my shipment from Luca + Grae. The ordering process was simple to navigate, shipping was much quicker than I had expected, and their social media and website are inspiring to my style. I recommend checking it out!

Like this article? Follow @hercampuscwu for more!

Kyla is a senior at Central Washington University double majoring in Marketing Management and Leadership and Management with a minor in Digital Marketing. She enjoys reading, cooking, and playing with her dogs.