This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Before I got a pet in college, I dreamed of bringing a fuzzy fluffball back to my home and schemed probably a million times with my friends on how to sneak one into my dorm room. While owning a pet in college may seem like the best idea in the world, it is a huge commitment that takes dedication, time and money. I am all for everyone getting their own pets in college, but there are some things to think about before adopting the first animal you see. Here are a few steps I recommend taking before adopting your first pet in college:

Talk to your Roomate 

Have a conversation with your roommate (if you have one) about adopting a pet. If they would be okay with it, if there are any places they would rather the pet not be and how big (or small) of an animal would they be comfortable with? It’s so important to have these conversations with someone that you are living with. Having tension in a home is not fun!

Are pets allowed in your apartment/dorm/house?

Check with your landlord about any policies they have about owning pets. Some apartments charge monthly “pet rent,” some may not allow pets and others might not care. It is better to find a place that accepts pets, or wait to get one rather than risk your living situation. 

make sure you can afford a pet

Pets can be so expensive between the food, toys and vet appointments. After checking with your roommate and landlord that it is okay to adopt a pet, put away some money into savings for any emergency vet appointments, just in case. It’s also a good idea to buy everything you need for the animal before actually getting it (think toys, litter, collar, enclosure/tank, etc.). Also, keep in mind that most pet adoption shelters have an adoption fee!

Where will the pet go while on school breaks?

One of the last things that is important to think about is the pet coming with you for things like winter or summer break. A lot of college students travel back to stay with family during these breaks. It would be a good idea to check with them and make sure it’s okay that the pet can come too, or that it will get along with any other pets that may already be there. The pet should be with you at all times, and it may be unrealistic to get one if you cannot take it with you during extended breaks. 

Picking the perfect pet for you

Finally, now that you are all set up for your new pet, it’s time to choose one! 

I am a huge supporter of adopting a pet instead of buying from a breeder. There are so many pets in need of a good home. Check your local shelter! Often, pets from a shelter are already up to date on vaccinations and have been spayed/neutered, so one less thing to worry about! If you want more information on why it’s best to adopt and not shop, check out this article from HC at Illinois State:

🐈 Related: 8 Reasons Why You Should Adopt Your Pets

Best of luck in your pet parenthood journey!

Zoe is a CWU Senior studying Elementary and Special Education. She loves to spend her free time with her cat Pip and loves to bake!