5 Things You Need-to-Know Before Graduating College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

People Expect Too Much 

From the minute you start your new life as a freshman in college, every family gathering consists of the same conversations. What are you planning on doing with your degree? Where are you looking for work? Are you going to grad school? What’s your major again? But, why does everyone think that having a degree means our life is miracoulously put together? It seems like a never-ending trail of expectations, it only gets worse as you approach your graduation. Just be confident in the decisions you’re making. Everybody can judge and push their ideas of what you should be doing onto you, but stand tall in your efforts and don’t let other people’s expectations bring you down. You are graduating from college which is an outstanding accomplishment!

Spend Less ~ Save More 

One of my favorite things about being an adult is that I can spend money whenever I want (well, that’s what I thought when I turned 18). The stress that accumulates when you need to pay your bills but see your bank account is only a double-digit number, is a feeling I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. It’s so easy to spend a little on pizza here, then going to get froyo the next day, oh, and don’t forget my caffeine addiction that needs to be fed. It disappears so fast when I spend my money on random things but it adds up just as quickly in my savings account if I make wiser choices about when I spend. Trust me, it’ll come in handy to have that account when you need to put down a deposit on a new apartment post-graduation. 

People Change and So Will You 

Always remember that it’s okay to change as long as you’re going in the right direction. As people take different paths in life they grow apart from some people and closer to others, some friends stay forever, but as humans we learn new things, drop old habits, improve, and make different choices, it’s how life works. It’s okay for things to change and it’s normal, think back to who you were when you first started college . . . are you the same person now? Just don’t lose sight of what is important to you and be prepared for the twists and turns in the road to come. 

Sometimes it Sucks 

It’s very discouraging to think about how difficult it is to find a job, to qualify for an apartment, to find a roommate or figure it out by yourself, to think about all of the money you need to move, and most of all, completing the last few weeks of college while doing it. Sometimes it just sucks but you have to let it and then keep trying. Sleep in, do a face-mask, wear your comfy sweats, and practice self-care while you have to deal with the stress of life. But make sure the next morning you pick your head up, wear your favorite outfit, and keep trying. 

Don’t Stress About Tomorrow 

Even when life may get you down or you feel stuck, just keep in mind that you persevered for several years in order to get where you are. Things will work out exactly how they are supposed to and today you can only do so much. Tomorrow you can try again or do something new, but for today, do what you can and be proud of yourself for trying. 

Congrats on graduating and don’t forget to love life throughout everything it throws your way. 

People will always have something to say about you, money will forever be important to have saved up (you never know when you’ll need a few extra bucks), people and circumstances change constantly, life sucks sometimes but don’t give up trying, do your best today and then do it again tomorrow!

Some may know me as Kp, I love to write, spend time outdoors, and do something new every day! Graduating from Central Washington University in 2019 Major: Public Relations Minor: Social Services