3 Sleeping Habits That Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As a 22 year old, I have had my fair share of sleep problems. Whether its waking up constantly throughout the night or not being able to fall asleep in the first place, it sucks when you don’t get a good nights rest. This summer I made it my mission to try whatever I needed in order to feel like I was getting a full nights sleep. I tried melatonin, drinking herbal tea, working out or stretching before bed and nothing like that was working…

I started to Google different ways to improve my sleep and I came across a ton of ideas, so I wanted to share the three that really worked for me! I hope you guys give these a shot. 

Sleeping with an eye mask

It seems like an odd thing to try if you have never slept with one before, and to be completely honest it took a long time to get used to! But after a couple weeks it was my new best friend. Not only does it block unwanted light from creeping into your eyes early in the morning, but its more than that. For me, when I have my eye mask on it forces me to keep my eyes closed (obviously) which really helps me fall asleep faster because I’m not laying in bed starring off into space for hours on end. 

Pillows, pillows, pillows

Are you sure you’re sleeping with the right kind of pillow? There are a lot of things to look for when purchasing the right pillow, especially if you have neck problems, or any kind of indigestion issues when sleeping. I am seriously prone to acid reflux, and I know I’m not the only one. By setting up multiple pillows and having a firm, fluffy one under your head you gain a couple inches which can help avoid acid reflux while sleeping and avoid any neck pain in the morning. 

Here is a quiz to see what pillow is best for your specific sleeping habits: slumbr.com/quiz

Put the right stuff on your face before bed

Everybody has different skin, from oily to dry and every combination in between, there are lots of products that you should and should not be using before bed. Not everyone needs to exfoliate every single night, just like not everyone needs to use a toner or anything dry every night, its all about balance. 

For me, I have normal/oily skin type so I need a toner, followed by a moisturizer, and then a spot treatment for acne spots. This skin care routine works best for me because I have tried countless products for years and finally found something that works best for me. 

By the way here is a list of my current skin care products that I use on my skin every night after I have washed my face:

I hope these tips will encourage all of you to take charge of your sleep! Everybody deserves a good night sleep, so by trying new sleeping habits you might be able to find something that work better than your current sleeping method. Hey HC Chapters, do you guys have sleeping problems? if so leave us a comment below with some of your best tricks!