This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Of all the genres of books out there, I think sci-fi is one of the most interesting. The speculative nature of it—of imagining a world where anything and everything might be possible—is fascinating.

Over the years, here are some of my favorite science fiction reads.

1. The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

The first in N. K. Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy, “The Fifth Season” is a whirlwind of a book. Utilizing the idea that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, she explores a world wracked by tectonic shifts—and starts with the world’s end.

Following three protagonists across a marriage, self-discovery, and the search for a missing child, Jemisin’s writing is clear and incisive. Her plots are well developed and include twists you don’t see coming.

This book does get fairly heavy in terms of content in some places, so be aware of that going in.

Read for: intriguing worldbuilding, a tense plot, and characters that you can’t help get attached to.

2. A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine

The first book in Arkady Martine’s Teixcalaan series is more of a political thriller and murder mystery than it is an adventure plot. Don’t let this discourage you! If you like social drama, politics, language, and intrigue, this book is for you.

I particularly appreciate the way this book dives into memory and culture, and what it means to be an ambassador to another culture. The setting is very solidly space-faring, and includes elements you just couldn’t get in any other genre (such as brain-implants to share memories)!

Read for: political intrigue, exploration of culture shock, discussions of language and poetry (in space!)

3.  This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone

This Is How You Lose the Time War is a novella following two rival, time-traveling agents as they try to change the past to ensure that their futures turn out the way they want.

The setting of this is primarily done through vignettes and letters, and you get to see how the two fall for each other, even though they’re expressly forbidden from doing so. It’s a unique romance, and one of the most experimental books of this list. The prose is really fun and it’s a short read as well, which makes it good for anyone looking to pick up something quick!

Read for: epistolary fiction done right, enemies to lovers, spies and secret agents (in space!)

For more like this follow @hercampuscwu on all socials.

Kathleen Singleton is a senior at Central Washington University. When not making tea and painting, Kathleen can be found writing, both professionally and creatively.