Style > Fashion

2023’s Most Killer Halloween Costumes for You and Your Boo!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Though Halloween is arguably one of the best holidays, the worst part about this mystical time of year is finding something or someone to dress up as. There are many “unsaid” rules when it comes to Halloween costumes that make it hard to decide what you’ll be. You may not consciously know them, but here are the universal rules when it comes to picking the perfect costume:

1. It has to be original- but not too original because you want people to know what you’re dressed up as.
  2. It can’t be too simple or it will look like you were too cool to put any effort into it, but it also can’t be too complicated or it will look like you put way too much effort in.
  3. And of course, you get bonus points if it’s funny.

The next thing you know you’re sitting on the floor surrounded by every piece of clothing you’ve ever owned wondering if you should even dress up this year.

Luckily for you, I’ve not only got ideas for your costume but also a paired costume for your boo-thang as well. Here are three culturally relevant, hilarious ideas that will not only make you the stars of your Halloween party but ensure you’ll get another invite next year.

Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift

This may be the most culturally relevant couples costume idea this year and I haven’t seen anyone talk about it yet. It’s simple, funny, cute, original and everyone will know who you are- what more could you ask for? This costume is also perfect if you’re a Swiftie and it’s a plus if your partner is into football.  Let that Eras Tour outfit see the light again and hopefully, your partner is a Chiefs fan.

Hailey and Justin Bieber 

But specifically Hailey Bieber in her red dress and heels, and Justin Bieber in his grey shorts, grey hoodie over the baseball cap and his infamous Crocs. If you’re in a relationship where one partner loves dressing up, but the other loves staying cozy I think this is the perfect couple costume for you. Not only is this costume culturally relevant, but it also requires pieces you probably already have in your closet!

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and His Grandma – I Mean, His Wife

Look, I’m not the type of girl to hate on other women… but I will hate on huge age gaps in celebrity relationships. I haven’t heard anyone come up with this costume idea before, but it immediately came to mind when brainstorming ideas. Also, you can’t TELL me this wouldn’t go viral on TikTok! Imagine, one partner dressed in Aaron-Taylor Johnson’s famous blue Bullet Train suit, and the other dressed as your classic grandma with white curly hair and a walker. This costume is original, not too complicated and relevant so everyone will be able to appreciate your ingenuity. 

I hope you can take the ideas from this article for your own Halloween rendezvous this year, or I hope they spark even better ideas for yourself! I wish you a Happy Halloween and know you and your boo will look scarily amazing this year while you celebrate.

Gracen is currently a senior at CWU studying Film Production. Some of her interests include photography, making art, watching movies, and listening to music. This is her fourth year writing for Her Campus.