“12 Days of Christmas”: Childhood Shows to Reminisce on this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

The holiday season is already here! It started off with Halloween; then with Thanksgiving just around the corner and Christmas in a few weeks, we are all reminiscing about our childhoods and what the holidays meant for us then and now. The holidays are a time when we get to relax with family and friends, talk about our busy lives, and just be in the present with those we care about the most. Christmas can bring back our “child-like selves” and this may get one thinking about what has influenced them growing up. Especially in my generation, a lot of people grew up with the classic 90’s to early 2000’s games, TV shows, movies, and social media. As our society changes, new reboots of TV shows or movies come on; the networks attempt to put a new twist on older classics, so that future generations can watch similar content and feel the same way we did. 

However, there is only to an extent of how much new shows and movies can manipulate the old ways and not make it look cheesy. I have heard from a lot of people on my campus that we are missing our childhood shows and when someone makes a reference to a show, we all secretly love them for that. They are reminding us of the good old days and how we can still incorporate that childlike sense of wonder into our lives today. Especially with the help of Disney+ coming out November 12, more than 10 million subscribers are able to access a plethora of classic TV shows and movies from our past. People are getting into this because we miss the past and the joy it gave to many of us back then and we want to continue to have that same joy now. 

I will always be a Disney Original and Nickelodeon fanatic when it comes from Hannah Montana to Victorious. Before Disney+ came out, I have always sung songs from Hannah Montana or made references to old shows in a variety of conversations. Some people love it while some think I am “too much.” I thought that this article can bring a little bit of excitement, happiness, joy, and all the other types of happy emotions to all of us when I mention the twelve old childhood shows one should watch during this holiday season. I will also mention Christmas episodes from each to get everyone into the winter spirit for the break! These are in no particular order, and have a fantastic holiday season! 

Childhood Shows! 

1. That’s So Raven; Xmas Episode: S1 Ep 19- “Escape Claus”  

For the summary of this show:  That’s So Raven Summary

2. Hannah Montana; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 9/10- “Achy Jakey Heart” Part 1 and 2  

For the summary of this show: Hannah Montana Summary

3. Drake and Josh; Xmas Movie: Merry Christmas, Drake and Josh   

Summary: Drake and Josh Summary

4. Suite Life of Zack and Cody; Xmas Episode: S1 Ep 21- “Christmas at the Tipton” 

Summary: Suite Life

5. Wizards of Waverly Place; Xmas Episode: None:(; but definitely watch the show for the memories:)  

Summary: Wizards

6. Kim Possible; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 15 “A Very Possible Christmas”  

Summary: Kim Possible

7. Sonny with a Chance; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 22: A So Random! Holiday Special 

Summary: Sonny

8. Victorious; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 13 “A Christmas Tori” 

Summary: Victorious

9. ICarly; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 6 “IChristmas”  

Summary: ICarly

10. The Fairly Oddparents; Xmas Episode: S1 Ep 7 “Christmas Every Day!” 

Summary: Fairly

11. Zoey101; Xmas Episode: Unknown 

Summary: Zoey

12. Rugrats; Xmas Episode: S2 Ep 14 “The Santa Experience” 

Summary: Rugrats 

After reading this article, you may wondering why I picked these 12 shows from Disney and Nickelodeon. I picked these because they all have a variety of storylines, some are animation and some are in “real life” (variety of visual makings), the span of which these shows aired starting in 1990 and ending around 2012, and how all of these have some sense of family. A family does not necessarily mean blood-related, it can be friends or people you meet along the way. I hope these shows can bring comfort, love, and a sense of family/community that surrounds you every day. Take the holiday season to watch these and just remember the good times that happened and how awesome it is that we can still watch them today, x amount of years later!

HI! My name is Hannah Maslow and I am a freshman at CWU:) I like hanging with my friends on the weekend!