This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

It’s a new year, which means it’s time for a closet cleanout! With fashion being on a three month cycle, some trends just don’t stand the test of time. Here are my top ten trends to leave behind in 2020. 

Biker Shorts

We’ve been seeing biker shorts for a few seasons now, but going into the new year let’s keep these as they were intended, as athleisure.

Tiny Sunglasses

Let’s be real, tiny frames had their moment and with Y2K styles becoming more and more popular, it is only right that oversized sunglasses make a comeback in 2021.

White Tennis Skirts

Even though I don’t believe in “no white after labor day” as a hard and fast rule of fashion, it looks a bit out of place in the winter. I won’t lie, I will keep rocking my tennis skirt but in black, as it fits in my wardrobe better. 

All Pearl Everything

Besides regular jewelry, the pearl trend is a bit overdone now. I was definitely obsessed throughout 2020, but this is an accent that is best in moderation.

Animal Prints

I love a good animal print if it’s done right, and just like pearls I think animal print is best in moderation. Zebra, cheetah, and cow print all had a huge moment last year and sadly, I think that moment has come to pass. (Don’t tell anyone I’m still wearing cheetah print though).

Colored Face Framing Hair

I know, I know, I basically have this look with my one strip of bleach blonde, but I do think that this has been done enough in 2020 and we should pick a new hair trend to try out this year.

Sweater Vests

Sweater vests were out almost as soon as they were in. As with most trends, once mega fast fashion companies get ahold of something, consider it dead. I don’t mind this look, but I don’t think it will be carried into 2021. 

Wide Leg Jeans

I know these fit in with the Y2K aesthetic, but I predict that the perfect “it” jeans in 2021 will be a more straight-leg fit.

Cami Tank Tops

I love an easy yet stylish top as much as the next gal, but these tops have been done one too many times now. Trend forecasters are calling for more Jean Paul Gaultier-esque styles in 2021. 

Fast Fashion Brands

Shopping sustainably can be expensive and inaccessible so I understand that brands like SHEIN may be the only way to get on trend clothing. I believe that people who have access to more sustainable avenues should leave fast fashion behind because well, the environment deserves it.

So there you have it, my top ten trends to leave in 2020. Of course I fully believe that if something is your personal taste, it will never be out of style. If you’re planning on cleaning out your closet, don’t forget to donate as much as you can so that someone else might get some use out of your clothing!

HC CWU Events and Marketing Director / Personal Financial Planning & Entrepreneurship / Cancer Sun