Zanas Talley: Homecoming Duke Nominee, RA, and Future Lawyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

The Sophomores at CUA and the freshmen in NN2 know the one and only Zanas Talley. Zanas is known for doing almost everything and knowing just about everyone! You will always see him walking around smiling, laughing, and talking to people. It is no wonder that he was nominated for Cardinal Court for Homecoming this year and proved to be a strong candidate. Even though Saturday’s election results were in favor of another candidate, Zanas still brought his A game. Luckily, I was able to catch him to get an interview for HerCampus CUA in the Dean of Students Office! Take a look!

Name: Zanas Talley

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

Year: 2018

Major: Politics pre-law

HC: What is your Spirit Animal?

Zanas: Owl because it can turn its head all the way around. Also, it’s as omniscient as I am.

HC: Can you tell us a fun fact about yourself?

Zanas: I have been skydiving. It feels like you are dying, but you live at the end. I am very afraid of heights, so it was terrifying; but I was attached to another person and he jumped for me.

HC: What is your favorite part of DC?

Zanas: I love a number of places. My favorite is Dupont Circle. I think that the area is spectacular. It is a little out of my price range but a nice place to go.

HC: What do you want to do after college?

Zanas: I want to go to law school and become a lawyer. My dad works at a law firm, so I might go work for him.

HC: Do you want to go to CUA for law school?

Zanas: I want to go somewhere else. My top choice is UVA.

HC: What are you apart of at CUA?

Zanas: Pre-Law society. Student assistant at the Dean of Students Office. Resident Assistant. Diversity Task Force. College Democrats. Spanish Club.

HC: What do you like about being an RA?

Zanas: I get to see people grow. I am intimately responsible for a number of students and for their accumulation to the CUA life. Recognizing that my residents are a part of the CUA family. Once I saw them realize that it was a great feeling.

HC: Were you surprised that you got nominated?

Zanas: Yes I was, I was taken aback. I was not expecting it and I am humbled to have been selected.

HC: Why do you want to win?

Zanas: My goal is not to win. I have always said that if the people want me as Duke, they will select me. I won’t be personally hurt if I don’t win and if I do win I will be thankful and privileged.

HC: What is your favorite part of homecoming?

Zanas: LipDub is one of the most fantastic parts of homecoming. Also, the football game brings enthusiasm. CUA sometimes lack students rallying behind something and homecoming allows us to have that. It also gives a chance for the alumni to come back and re-experience CUA with them again and it is a true privilege.

HC: What is your favorite part of CUA?

Zanas: That is hard to answer. There are so many great things that are offered here for the students. Also, there is the family atmosphere. CUA shows you that it is more than a university with students and teachers. Everyone is in it together and it is hard to explain to someone who doesn’t go here like perspective students, news casters, etc. The people who go here are so genuine as a student body. That is what makes it so intimately exciting.

HC: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Zanas: CUA has given a lot to me in a number of different ways. Friends, life experiences, education and if my fellow sophomores want me to be the Duke then I won’t be doing it for me personally, but so I can show others the love the university gives to its students.

Zanas, even though you did not win this year, you are certainly a winner in my and Her Campus’ hearts!

After living in 3 different countries including 3 different states in the USA, it is no surprise that Roisin Gibbons decided to come to the nation's capitol to pursue a career in Social Work at CUA. Whil she did run away to Australia, her love for DC and the HC family brought her back home. Now a semester away from her senior year, Roisin is a HerCampus CUA writer, Co-President of CSWNA, Active Minds Fundraising Chair, and Marketing Chair for NRHH. Along with that, her own blog and volunteer experiences, she finds time to be a fashionista, singer, adventurer, and model for GUS Vintage Goods in California over school breaks. Roisin hopes to make a difference for victims of human trafficking and alcohol and drug addiction as a Social Worker and believes that her work with communities and blogging has put her ahead of the game.