Why You Should Join the Love Your Melon Crew

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Name

Julie LaPerch

Year

Senior

Major

Marketing

Why did you start Love Your Melon?

I started Love Your Melon ater I saw the organization on a different college campus. I thought the organization’s dedication to helping children with cancer was amazing, and I knew it needed to be brought to CUA. The Love Your Melon products are also so cute, I knew this would encourage my fellow college students to be a part of it.

How has Love Your Melon changed since first starting?

As a crew we have grown tremendously in numbers compared to our first year. The CUA crew now has 20 members and has sold over 400 products. As a company, Love Your Melon has also changed quite a bit. At first the company would give a child with cancer a free beanie for every beanie the company sold, the company recently reached their goal of selling 45,000 hats. The company’s new goal is to donate 1 million dollars to Pediatric Cancer Research, in order to provide more support to children and families. The company also currently has over 18 non-profit partners that they contribute to based on profit from products sold, many more partners than when the company originally started.

What is the most rewarding part of being a member of Love Your Melon?

The most rewarding part of being a member of Love Your Meon is seeing the results of our hard work in action. Last fall we were able to go to Inova Fairfax Hospital and give 100 hats to children and families who are currently battling cancer. Our presence in the hospital and giving the kids new hats really brightened up their day. It is so rewarding to know that we were able to make so many children’s days better while they are going through such a difficult time.

Where do you see Love Your Melon going in the future?

Love Your Melon at CUA, and as a company, has grown tremendously. When I started the CUA crew only about 100 other Univiersities were involved. Now, Love Your Melon is present on 840 college campuses. The company will only continue to grow with the development of new products, and the expansion of children that are given support. As for the CUA crew, I hope we continue to get people interested and do even more in terms of hospital and home visits!

What has your greatest accomplishment been at CUA?

As a crew, our greatest accomplishment at CUA was our house visit last April. We were able to visit a little girl named Zoe, who is currently battling Leukemia. We went to her house with games and gifts, and had an amazing afternoon with her and her familiy. We all still talk about Zoe constantly, and regularly keep up with her progress as she courageously fights back against her cancer. 

What advice would you give to whoever joins in the future?

I would tell anyone who joins in the future how lucky they are to be apart of such an amazing organization. I was so lucky to start this crew with my close friends here at CUA, and throughout the past two years we have all grown and learned so much together. Nothing compares to knowing that as a team, we changed the lives of children in need, and gave back to our local community in such a selfless way.