Why Every College Girl Needs to Read Lena Dunham’s, “Not That Kind of Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

On a spontaneous book shop visit I found myself holding a signed copy Lena Dunham’s new book, Not That Kind of Girl. If you’re like me you love all things Lena: Girls on HBO, her instagram account, her Emmy acceptance speeches, and her hysterically funny video series #AskLena. It took me all of four seconds to get past the $30.00 price and purchase the hardcopy of this book, and it’s been my best purchase this semester.

Lena’s book is composed of fived sections filled with multiple personal essays. Each chapter is a new story and funnier than the last. Even these titles are hysterical: “18 Unlikely Things I’ve Said Flirtatiously”, ““Diet” Is a Four-Letter Word: How to Remain 10 Lbs. Overweight Eating Healthy”, and “This is Supposed to be Fun? Making the Most of Your Education:”.

The beauty of this book is that Lena has the ability to simplify and shed light on issues all girls face through laugh-out-loud humor. Her stories are hilarious, relatable, and inspiring. One minute I am belly laughing, while the next I am reflecting on gender equality in America. Her writing pulls you in like a magnet and her stories consume you.

I strongly encourage women of all ages, but especially women in their 20-somethings to read this book, you won’t regret it. College is a time of instability and rapid changes; Lena’s book shows how she coped with the experiences faced by young women and how she managed to come out on top. Every girl has struggles and even Lena had her fair share, and her stories remind us that we’re not alone!

Raised in Winchester, Massachusetts, Katherine is a Marketing major at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.. She  has a passion for yoga, traveling, skiing, her dogs, and pasta. In addition to being the Co-Founder and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus CUA, she works at an Irish Pub on Capitol Hill.  She hopes Her Campus will unite the women of CUA and she attempts to occassionally bring femininity and the dynamics of living in Washington, D.C. into her articles.