What Your Bartender Really Thinks Of Your Drink Order

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Lets face it, when we go out every weekend the bartender you decide to order a drink from isn’t just making you a drink, they become your therapist for the night. If you have worked in the restaurant business before then you know once a customer sits down, nine times out of ten, the bartender can guess what drink they are about to order.

Is the bartender psychic?? Sorry to disappoint but they aren’t anything like Raven from That’s So Raven. They have just seen the same actions over and over again from people that order the same drinks. I decided to ask a few bartenders exactly what they are thinking when a customer orders a certain drink. Below are direct quotes! This is what is going through their head when you step up to the plate (I mean bar)….

BUDLIGHT

“This is the closer beer”

“This is the –you have a huge group of people who have been drinking for hours, but then their collegiate instincts kick in which requires them to have a beer in their hands at all times while at a bar–drink.”

“90% of bud lights are ordered late night and are left ¾ full on the bar as people stumble out into their uber that they have been trying to order for the last 15min.”

GUINNESS

“Oh, it’s a special occasion”

“When you have a holiday like St. Paddy’s Day, you pretend to honor the people who the holiday was created for by drinking Guinness, but then simultaneously insult them by drinking that delicious shooter, a car bomb.”

“A guy who walked into the bar with any Guinness apparel on, he’s ordering one”

REDBULL VODKA

“You’re a party animal”

“This is not for people who actually appreciate vodka. You are wasting both your money and making the bartender unnecessarily jump and stretch for that top shelf if you order it with anything more expensive than Absolut or Tito’s. Just rage on with the cheap stuff.”

“This will create some of the best nights you’ll never remember”

FIREBALL SHOT

“It’s the only shot that anyone can agree on…unless you’re that person that gets flashbacks from when you were 19 and thought you were a baller for drinking half a bottle of Fireball and ended up vomiting all over your friend’s bathroom floor”

“We all appreciate that warming cinnamon smell, but there are candles for that”

“If you take a shot of this you are weak, if you mix it you are a weirdo”

“Usually chosen by girls who want “anything but whisky”…. ironic… then cue the applause and cheering”

CIDER

“I judge a little when a dude orders it who doesn’t have an accent, but my thoughts are if you are pounding this trying to get drunk, you are doing it wrong”

“Kinda girly but can be refreshing”

JAMESON SHOT

“The players shot”

“You are most likely pretending that you enjoy it or you pull the worst face I have seen since a Picasso picture where the nose ends up close to where the ears should be”

“You actually enjoy shelling out a little more for your friends and don’t like fruity shooters.”

TEQUILA SUNRISE

“You are either ordering a Tequila Sunrise or an Amaretto Sour”

“There is no need to check their ID’s, they must have turned 21 in the last couple months. I’m not a scientist but that is a fact.”

There you have it. The bartenders have spoken!

~special thanks to the A Team~

Caroline is a senior at The Catholic University of America studying Marketing. Along with her studies she is the Co-Founder and Co-Correspondent (Co-Editor-in-Chief) of Her Campus CUA, and works part time at a popular bbq place in downtown Washington, DC.  In her free time she enjoys exploring the city with friends and hunting down the best BLT. She hopes that bringing Her Campus to CUA will give students a new way to express themselves that has not been offered before.