What You Need to Know for Pope Francis’ Visit to CUA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

What You Need To Know About Pope Francis’ Visit to CUA 

Who: Pope Francis, the leader of the Catholic Church who isn’t afraid to vocalize his progressive views and discuss controversial issues such as equal pay, abortion, climate change, homosexuality, and the refugee crisis in Europe. He is the first Pope since Pius X to live outside of the luxurious papal apartments in Vatican City and reside in the Vatican guesthouse.

What: Papal Visit to Washington D.C. and Junipero Serra Canonization Mass

Where: The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception 

When: September 23, 2015 at 4:15 PM

How: A little assistance by Homeland Security & DPS (the latter is sarcastic)

Why: It’s about time the Pope comes to The Land of the Free. As the Catholic University of AMERICA, the only school charted by the Vatican, it makes sense.

On September 23, 2015, the extraordinary Pope Francis will be on Catholic University’s physical campus. He will be holding mass to canonize Junipero Serra, a Franciscan friar who went on numerous mission trips in the 1700’s in California.

This is a BIG deal. Not only is he the POPE, but he is the hippest and most refreshing face the Catholic Church has seen in a long time.

It is important that all students, religious or not, take the opportunity to appreciate Pope Francis’ visit.

However, it is also important to be aware of the temporary modifications that will impact your weekly routine.

If you haven’t noticed, the McMahon parking lot no longer exists and is being utilized for preparations. Essentially, walk to campus or take the metro from now until September 25.

At 5:00 PM on September 22, all classes will end and certain buildings will be completely shutdown. Students who live in residence halls, Caldwell, Seton, and Gibbons, will be evacuated from their dorms and relocated to the Duf. Both sexes under the same roof, mhmmmm?

On September 23rd, all classes are canceled. Students will go to Mass instead of class, if they are blessed enough to obtain the miracle “lottery ticket.” May the odds be ever in your favor.

Other students will most likely hold Pope Parties and a drink every time the Pope says Jesús, since the Mass will be said in Spanish and streamed live on Telemundo.

The entire campus will be shut down on Wednesday, including the Pryz. This means no prison food for 24 hrs. However, CUA stated that “Provisions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be made for students who are on the meal plan. More information will be made available to students on the meal plan as we get closer to the event,” reassurance that no underclassmen will starve!

Most importantly, remember safety. Keep all forms of ID, Cardinal Card and License, on you at all times from September 22-23. There will be security checkpoints everywhere and you will have to show your ID. Your CUA t-shirt or fake ID you use at College Park won’t cut it.

In addition, be responsible and observant. If you see anything suspicious, tell the authorities.

Other then that, sing praise because Pope Francis is coming to town and will be riding his Popemobile on the Pryz Lawn.

Briana Bee is a senior at the Catholic University of America. She is completing her Bachelor's Degree in American Political Science with a Minor in Public Health Policy and Theology. Briana has interned for Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency, PA State Senate, and Irish Parliament. She is extremely passionate about women's rights, health and nutrition, current issues, and her lipstick. Briana joined HerCampus CUA because she wants to raise awareness on important topics and be a voice for women and the greater CUA community. 
Raised in Winchester, Massachusetts, Katherine is a Marketing major at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.. She  has a passion for yoga, traveling, skiing, her dogs, and pasta. In addition to being the Co-Founder and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus CUA, she works at an Irish Pub on Capitol Hill.  She hopes Her Campus will unite the women of CUA and she attempts to occassionally bring femininity and the dynamics of living in Washington, D.C. into her articles.