This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Terrence Britt might be one of the CUA Music Program’s best-kept secrets. You might have noticed him around campus, with his effortlessly cool style, but what you might not know about Terrence, is that he is an extremely talented opera singer and a big contributor to the CUA campus community. Terrence is super sophisticated and friendly, but when I found out he sang opera, I was even more interested to get to know him, and he didn’t disappoint.

Hometown: Clinton, MD

Major: Vocal Performance

Zodiac Sign: Libra

HC: What is a fun fact about yourself?

TB:  I sang with Beyoncé for the Obama family.

HC: Who are some of your favorite singers or bands? Who inspires you musically?

TB: I love Beyoncé to death, but for my professional career, Leontyne Price and Jessye Norman inspire me greatly.

HC: What clubs and activities are you involved in at CUA?

TB: Black Student Alliance, OA, DREAM Team

HC: What has been your best experience at CUA so far?

TB: My best experience has been the unlimited amounts of opportunities that I have had access to. I have been able to perform in 6 shows within the CUA Opera Theater, 3 professional opera companies within the DC area, gain employment within various offices on campus that have set me up for great opportunities while completing my graduate study, and making great friends that are my lifeline. This may sound weird, but working either for money or within my degree program was the best part because who I am today as a CUA student is a result of some type of work environment.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

TB:  I will be attending graduate school to obtain my Masters of Music in Vocal Performance. It is between Boston University and Temple University; I will be announcing this Friday!

HC: Tell us how you became interested in Opera singing and how long have you been performing?

TB: I first got the opera bug when it was time to audition for the performing arts middle school I attended. I always loved to sing, in my younger years, the goal was to become a gospel singer, but for the performing arts middle school, applicants had to sing an Italian art song or aria. While learning the famous piece, Caro Mio Ben, I listened to various opera artists sing the selection and fell in love with the art form. It has been history ever since!

HC: What was your first performance like?

TB: My first opera performance was amazing and a learning experience. The Merry Widow was my first role on any opera stage and being a freshman in a cast with Master and Doctoral level students was awarding and frightening. I enjoyed every minuteof the process because I not only had the opportunity to show my vocal ability, but also the more funny and silly side of Terrence.

HC: What do people not know about Opera? Any interesting methods,  or daily practice?

TB: What people don’t know about opera is that it just like real life; reality TV to be exact. Everything you see on The Real Housewives of whatever city is what you can expect to see in opera. Yes, opera is hard work. Personally, one must practice at least an hour a day to become solid in technique. The voice is a muscle after all.

HC: What is the hardest part about singing?

TB: The only hard part about singing is that no one will ever be a master of it. There is always something to learn. Even the opera greats continue to learn daily.

HC: What is the best part about singing and performing?

TB: The best part about singing opera is that I get to live the life of someone else for at least three hours. It is a great escape for the artist and the audience because you draw them into this larger than life experience that helps them forget their issues and problems. I also get to be the drama queen that people claim me to be.  

HC: What would be your dream performance and or career?  What are your goals?

TB: My ultimate goal is to become an international opera singer. I cannot see myself doing anything but this art form. I love the German language, so I want to start my career in German Opera Houses, but before I get to that point, I plan to complete young artist programs that will help mold me into a better artist upon receiving my Masters.