Samantha Hawkins, Future Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Samantha Hawkins is a 21 year old New York native, who is currently a junior at CUA. She is pursuing a degree in International Economics and Finance (BS & BA). Samantha has excelled academically and has been conducting independent research since her sophomore year in college. She is one of the top students in the Economics Program at CUA for the junior class and is a leading figure for furture businesswomen. Her focus yet down to earth persona has deemed her the title of this week’s “Campus Celebrity.” 

How are you involved on campus at CUA?

“For the last year, I have been a research and teacher’s assistant for Dr. Aguirre, the Director of the Economics Program. This semester I joined a research fellowship program, where I work with a graduate student on her final thesis.”

Samantha Hawkins with her mentor, Dr. Aguirre, at the SCA Annual Foundation Dinner for education and opportunity for women in developing countries.

What is something unique about yourself?

“I was very drawn to analyzing data on the macro scale, which most twenty year old girls would find mundane and I can lick my elbow.”

As a junior, what do you think is your best achievement thus far?

“I was personally invited and the only student from CUA to attend the National Economics Club Event (NEC). The former Chairman of the Federal Reserve was the keynote speaker.”

What are your plans for next semester?

“Next semester I am studying abroad in London at St. Mary’s University. I am taking two business classes and two history classes. I also plan to intern with Parliament and analyze the implications of economic policies.”

You have a very demanding schedule. What is your favorite thing to do during your free time, if you ever have any?

“I really love watching movies. My favorite movie is the Breakfast Club. I also enjoy reading books such as The Dinner. The entire plot takes place during one dinner meal, where two brothers and their wives are out to dinner and have to discuss a serious crime their kids committed.” 

Briana Bee is a senior at the Catholic University of America. She is completing her Bachelor's Degree in American Political Science with a Minor in Public Health Policy and Theology. Briana has interned for Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency, PA State Senate, and Irish Parliament. She is extremely passionate about women's rights, health and nutrition, current issues, and her lipstick. Briana joined HerCampus CUA because she wants to raise awareness on important topics and be a voice for women and the greater CUA community.