This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

The 2016 presidental election has been one of the most controversial  elections in the history of the United States of America. On Wednesday, November 9th, 2016, Donald Trump was elected President of the United States. He used his campaign to discriminate against people of color, the LGBTQ+ community,immigrants, people of different faiths, people of disabilities, and women. Many people in the country have been wondering how could this man who is the opposite of “American values” have been elected President of the United States of America. On Wednesday many parents had to explain to their children, that we would not have the first woman President. Since November 9, there has been over 200 hate crimes. Trump supporters have been targeting the people Donald Trump targeted during his election campaign. The election has left people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ+ community, people of different faiths, people of disabilities  and women feeling unsafe in their own country. We have seen peaceful protesting happening in almost every big city in the United States. The citizens of America are disappointed that a man who has been rude, mean, a bully, racist, sexist, and more has won the election.

On Tuesday November 15, 2016, my friends and I planned a Peace In. The purpose of the Peace was to give students the opportunity to discuss the issues such as racism, LGBTQ+, women’s rights and more. The purpose was also to bring students of different cultures, faiths and political affiliations to find out ways we all could make a difference in our school, country and the world.  The Peace In was also a healing and safe space for students who have felt unsafe on the campus after the election.

Here are some reflections from a student and faculty:

“It was nice to be able to come together and pray. I saw people who looked like me and other people who did not look like me, but we came together. It was beautiful and a bittersweet moment.”

-Mercy  (Class of 2020)

Dr.Hogan gave students advice during Peace In, he said, “in order for us break down the barriers of division we must reach out to others who do not look like us or have the same faiths.”

“I liked that the Peace In was a chance for people to come together to hear each other out it was definitely a start to addressing the problems.”

-Udochi (Class of 2020)

I believe Dr.Hogan is right, we have to reach other to one another that is where it starts. One positive thing that has came out of this election is that it has given  so many people a chance to use their voices to stand up for what they believe in. I believe each one of us can make a difference. We all have to make sure America is a country that works for everyone. If you are upset with the outcome of the election, then please use your energy to make a difference whether it is interning on Capitol Hill, The White House, or in your local government. You can also make a difference by using your passion. Also remember, we all must RESPECT each other. We want to thank Campus Police , CUA Administration, and the faculty who helped us put together the Peace In and made sure we were all safe.

Peace In Organizers

-Zaniya, Hailey and Udochi