An Ode To My Senior Thesis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

When Senior Year strolled along, I knew I had to prepare myself for the intensive semester I was going to have. Being a Media and Communications studies major, you know that writing is a important aspect of being in the major. At CUA you can go two routes: being on the more production side or being on the critical studies side( more writing intensive). I chose the critical studies route because truly I was not blessed with the production talent but it is all good baby baby bayyyy * Biggie Smalls Voice* ! Anyway, so over the summer I tried to prepare myself of things to write about for my senior thesis. I remember having one really cool idea but it didn’t fit the theme of the class because our Senior Seminar’s theme was called lies, deception and bullshit in the media.

So I’ve gone through a whole bunch of ideas in the beginning but I could tell my professor wasn’t really feeling it. Until I gave him a topic idea mid September: How Instagram Models are deceptive on social media. He really was intruiged, so I was like “ Okay, this is the one”. Now the research for my thesis was really intensive because finding scholarly journals about Instagram was hard because Instagram is so new. But what really helped was going to talk to my professor outside of class so I can get advice on what to search, where to search etc.

Now Onto me actually writing my thesis: Our final draft was due the week after Christmas break. So I had to somehow come up with 25-40 pages by that time, I was like “ oh nah, how will I pull this off?!”. So I tried to plan it out with how many pages I planned to write before and during spring break. Moral of the story: the plan I had I didn’t follow through with it. It was so hard doing work while I was home. Mostly because I was just so comfortable being in my bed doing absolutely nothing. So when I came back to school I had to suck up my pride and pull all nighters. Now let me tell you something, I don’t believe in all nighters BUT this thesis was going to get done, in the words of Malcolm X “by any means necessary”. So I did it and around 4 am and 27 pages later… I WAS DONE!!!!! I was so dead, I went into work at 9 am and my boss probably thought I was on drugs because I could not function but I made it through. And instead of class that day our professor took us to the nearby bar and bought us drinks(HOLLA!!!) and we just sat and chatted the whole time. This was so fun! I still have to present I which I am not too worried about but I am happy the hardest part is over. This is probably one of my proudest works of writings. So to everyone out there who is writing a senior thesis: It will suck BUT it will be so worth it in the long run. So keep your head and type away!!

A Baltimore girl who is exploring all of what DC has to offer. A lover of food and all things relating to Beyonce.