This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

My favorite way to spend a Sunday afternoon is in a coffee shop. After a week of classes and bad dining hall coffee, I love sleeping in on a Sunday morning, hopping on the metro with some music in my AirPods and tote bag in hand, and leisurely doing homework or reading a book while sipping overpriced lattes. There’s nothing like it. 

Cities always have their fair share of choices of where to get your croissants and cappuccinos, and the nation’s capital is no different. After almost two years of searching, D.C.’s 8 wards have proven to be home to some of my favorite places to be on a weekend. I am always on the lookout for a new place to try, and I figured there are some other college girls out there doing the same. So, without further ado, in no particular order: my four favorite D.C. coffee shops. 

1. Kramers and Afterwords

Kramer’s is located in Dupont Circle and is a short 2-minute walk from the metro stop. I discovered it on a self-date after my final exams last semester. Stepping in the front door, I knew immediately it would become one of my favorite places in the city. The cafe is located in the back of the building in a beautiful window-filled room with fake vines and plants everywhere. Although their coffee menu is small, their food is delicious. Sometimes I crave their avocado toast. This place is a double whammy as well. Not only do you get a coffee shop, you get a bookstore too! A perfect Sunday to me is picking out a new read and then enjoying it with a cappuccino. 

1. Tatte

Also located in Dupont Circle, Tatte is an aesthetically pleasing black and white tiled cafe. I was recommended to go here by a handful of CUA students and was not disappointed when I went early last semester. They have an extensive coffee menu and an even bigger selection of bakery items, which are mouth-wateringly in view right as you walk through the door. Although it’s on the pricier side and impossible to find a seat on the weekends, it’s a must-visit purely for their food and beverages. I’d recommend the  prosciutto & fried egg tartine or the french toast “sweet” style. For a drink, the matcha latte is smooth and delicious, or their classic cappuccino which is warm and comforting. 

1. Ebenezer’s 

Ebenezer’s is another CUA classic cafe, located just a hop, skip, and jump away from Union Station. This little grey building may not look like much on the outside, but the inside is full of good coffee and excellent flavors. Their honey lavender iced latte is some of the best coffee I’ve had in the District, and every now and then they have a baked good or two like macaroons or madeleines that pair perfectly with the bitter coffee. Ebenezer’s does have limited seating and sometimes spotty wifi, so trying to get homework done there can be a bit of a hassle. But, their slogan is “coffee with a cause” for a good reason. They pride themselves on using fair trade coffee and all of their proceeds go to the National Community Church. 

1. Le Bon Cafe 

I found this little slice of heaven at the end of finals last semester. After a morning at the Library of Congress, I wanted to grab a bite to eat and get some caffeine in my system. Thankfully, Le Bon Cafe was a short walk away! This cafe’s bright blue awning is a welcoming sight coming from the Capitol Building, and the inside is just as cute as the outside. I had the ​​Caffè Viennese, which is espresso blended with steamed milk and topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and some avocado toast. Thankfully, the weather was nice that day, so I was able to sit outside and spend two hours reading a book I brought and sipping on my delicious coffee. It was one of my favorite days of college so far, and I will be visiting Le Bon soon. But, make sure to keep this one between you and me – it’s a hidden gem in the city and I don’t want it getting crowded!

Hi! I'm Molly, a current Media/Communications and Politics Major at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC! I love baking, taking pictures, and adventures in the city!