Mistletoe Ball and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

Mistletoe Ball: the night everyone dresses up, unashamedly belts Mariah Carey, and dances the night away. This year Mistletoe Ball took place at Dock 5 at Union Market in DC. Upon much reflection, I have decided that the night consisted of four very specific stages. They were as follows:

Phase One: Preparation

As always seems to be the case with any dance, preparation for the night started off early. I painted my nails as I sipped on my morning coffee, careful not to scratch or ruin the pink polish. Preparation also meant fulfilling my role as student and doing work, so I did. But by 5:00 pm I was ready to begin my transformation from studious and unkempt, to social and somewhat presentable.

My apartment was filled with energy as my roommates and I ran around, excitedly fixing makeup and hair like a Middle School girl might do in getting ready for a dance (although I don’t think a Middle School girl can get ready with a Shiner Cheer Brew in her hand). Curling irons were on, makeup was strewn, and the air was sweet with the smell of perfume.

We then sipped (…”sipped”…) on some Peppermint Schnapps (because Christmas, am I right?) before heading out to Phase Two.

Phase Two: Anticipation

The roommates and I scurried quickly (it was cold) to a friend’s house, where we socialized, complimented each other on dresses and shoes, and danced to whatever Christmas music made its way onto the speaker. This is one of my favorite parts of any dance. We all looked dapper and chic, we were all eager for the night to really begin, and eventually we were all ready to get out there.

So, follow Phase Three.

Phase Three: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

Eat, drink and be merry essentially sum up the dance (and the rest of the night). I first ate to my heart’s content – I mean…there were meatballs, ravioli, chicken potpie, biscuits. And then truffles, s’mores cakes, cookies and more. Again, I ate to my heart’s content.

Next came drink. A friend and I finally felt the call to venture to the downstairs bar to enjoy a drink. The bar was lively was fellow Catholic University students looking to get a quick sip before heading back up to dance some more.

But the most important and true element of the whole night was the “Be Merry” piece. I’m not quite sure if I was so merry because this year’s music was something I felt inextricably connected to (I really think my 12-year-old Bar/Bat Mitzvah partygoer-self would have been proud of the fact that the past 10 years hasn’t ruined my “Sandstorm” or “Hollaback Girl” dance moves). Or maybe I was so merry because I was simply committed to letting loose and dancing like no one was watching. Whatever the case, the dance was definitely merry, and I certainly wasn’t ready for it to be over at midnight. So thank goodness for Phase Four.

Phase Four: More Dancing

What’s a dance if you don’t go out and dance more? And what’s senior year if you don’t take advantage of spontaneous, game time decisions? To answer both: nothing. So naturally, my roommates and I went out to a DC bar with other Catholic University students. We danced again, belted once more to Mariah Carey, and arrived back home champions (though exhausted champions).

And there, the night ended.

It’s hard to believe that four years ago, I was experiencing my first-ever Mistletoe Ball at the Mayflower Hotel. I remember the night like it was yesterday: what I wore, how I did my hair, and how I did my makeup. I remember how my friends and I frantically had to order an Uber when the metro car we were riding closed (we clearly weren’t set on waiting for the next metro car to arrive). I also remember the ride being so cheap that all I owed my friend was 25¢. And I most certainly remember that, once at the dance, I stuffed my face with any and every piece of food I could stuff my face with (I guess nothing changes?).

As I think about my first Mistletoe Ball and reflect on the three that followed, I’m in awe at just how quickly theses years went by. People always say that time goes by faster the older you get, and I guess they’re right. I can’t believe that I already have half of my fourth and final year at Catholic under my belt, and I hate to even contemplate how quickly the next half will go. How (and why) have these four years gone by so quickly? Where has the time gone? How am I to get through the next half of this year? And what do I do when I leave? I guess I’ll just keep it simple and outline it all into four stages: Prepare; Anticipate; Eat, Drink and Be Merry; and Keep Dancing.

A Houstonian living life and adventuring in DC.